Reeds legere synthetic reeds

I wanted to try the Black Bamboos, but they weren't available in my regions, so I bought a Forestone Hinoki (tenor) instead.
Neither of the two approved Forestone suppliers in the UK stock Black Bamboo reeds so I ordered mine from the German music store Thomann (Welcome! – Thomann UK). I used to play Legere Signature strength 2.25 reeds on alto and found the equivalent Black Bamboo strength for me to be the MS (Medium Soft). Tried the Black Bamboo M (Medium strength) but found that too hard for me.

Thanks TooSaxy, I'll keep your strength recommendations in mind should I ever try a Black Bamboo. But Germany's pretty far, too, and I'll likely wait till they hit Canada.

What do you guys do with yer old synthetic reeds?
Drop 'em in the goldfish bowl or grind 'em up in your next bolonese sauce perhaps ?
I used to love fish fingers with a parsley sauce, peas and carrots and pommes every Fryday.
I can remember many years ago meeting and chatting with a well known jazz saxer who had studied with Joe Allard.
He told me that when he discovered synthetic reeds he was excited as to how good they were.
At his next lesson with Joe he told him about his discovery.
Joe appeared to be curious and asked if he could have a look at the reed.
He took the reed, examined it and smashed it into the music stand and said "okay, now we'll learn how to play the saxophone".
Sorry, please excuse me, I'm not a Bio terrorist but . . . does it really have to be plastic ?
At the first lesson that I ever had with my teacher, I was using a legere reed. The first thing he told me was not to use it.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I'm on my third Signature reed. I wish I'd found them from the start. I have found some differences in sound and playability from different reeds of the same strength, but for pick up and play they are excellent.

What do you guys do with yer old synthetic reeds?
Drop 'em in the goldfish bowl or grind 'em up in your next bolonese sauce perhaps ?
I used to love fish fingers with a parsley sauce, peas and carrots and pommes every Fryday.
I can remember many years ago meeting and chatting with a well known jazz saxer who had studied with Joe Allard.
He told me that when he discovered synthetic reeds he was excited as to how good they were.
At his next lesson with Joe he told him about his discovery.
Joe appeared to be curious and asked if he could have a look at the reed.
He took the reed, examined it and smashed it into the music stand and said "okay, now we'll learn how to play the saxophone".
Sorry, please excuse me, I'm not a Bio terrorist but . . . does it really have to be plastic ?
Recycle them as drone propellors!

What was his reasoning for this?
It sounded dead to him. The only reason I was using it was because it looked cool and I didn't need reed case this, sandpaper that, and promised a long life. I didn't have much of a concept of sound then, and now that I do, I've found that I agree.

Jazzaferri

Subscriber
Wow, thats a lot of reed. I have gone up as high as 3 1/2 but found that only useful when competing with electric guitars. Takes everything I have in air support and embouchure to work that one on an 8* mpce. At normal playing levels on the lower notes it all sounds like I am subtoning…..but it will play lound

Are you aware that people have had success adjusting legere's using the ATG (or facsimile) system.
No, I wasn't. My problem isn't that the reed is hard to play of feels unbalanced, or even the response (though I do find it pingy, it doesn't respond poorly), its just the tone. Can altering a reed like that significantly alter the tone?

Top Bottom