• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Legere strength for beginner

klimshelf

Member
Messages
7
Location
Colorado
I'm transitioning from Bb clarinet (11 years) to tenor sax. I play Legere 3.00 European cut on clarinet and am wondering what would be an appropriate Legere strength to use on my tenor sax (which hasn't arrived yet). I have acquired a vintage George Bundy #3 hard rubber mp and am considering starting with a Legere American cut 2.75 reed. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
 
I have acquired a vintage George Bundy #3 hard rubber mp and am considering starting with a Legere American cut 2.75 reed. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

That might be a bit hard, but I'm not sure. Depends on the tip opening of the Bundy mouthpiece and whether it has been refaced.

I'm not against Legere, but at the start it may be cheaper to experiment with cane reeds.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
There is a comparison chart on the Legere site, but it only compares against other Saxophone Reeds.

Obviously it's very dependent on your personal circumstances. From my personal experience and on my setup (PPT 7*), I have found a 2.5 more than adequate on the American Cut. In the signature series I found a 2.75 a little too tough going for me, but again that's just my situation, so probably won't help you.

Check the current replacement scheme with Legere as it has been affected by Covid. That might now have changed. If you can afford it, it might be worth ordering two or three different strengths, but that is a bit of an outlay.
 
Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0
That might be a bit hard, but I'm not sure. Depends on the tip opening of the Bundy mouthpiece and whether it has been refaced.

I'm not against Legere, but at the start it may be cheaper to experiment with cane reeds.
Tip opening looks to be .185 and doesn't look like it's been resurfaced. Maybe a Legere American 2.5 would be a good start - what do you think?

I'm spoiled with the ease of maintenance of synthetic reeds and the sound quality is for my ears only. Plus, I've found it easy to exchange Legere reeds for different strengths.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
There is a comparison chart on the Legere site, but it only compares against other Saxophone Reeds.

Obviously it's very dependent on your personal circumstances. From my personal experience and on my setup (PPT 7*), I have found a 2.5 more than adequate on the American Cut. In the signature series I found a 2.75 a little too tough going for me, but again that's just my situation, so probably won't help you.

Check the current replacement scheme with Legere as it has been affected by Covid. That might now have changed. If you can afford it, it might be worth ordering two or three different strengths, but that is a bit of an outlay.
Thanks. 2.5 might be a better reed to begin with. I've found exchanging clarinet reeds during Covid easy, since you no longer have to mail them in. I just emailed a copy of my receipt and they sent a new reed.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Tip opening looks to be .185 and doesn't look like it's been resurfaced. Maybe a Legere American 2.5 would be a good start - what do you think?

I'm spoiled with the ease of maintenance of synthetic reeds and the sound quality is for my ears only. Plus, I've found it easy to exchange Legere reeds for different strengths.
I assume you mean 1.85mm tip opening, which is about a C*, 0.185” would be massive!
Legere 2.5 sounds like a good starting point.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
There are two things about synthetic reeds, which I currently use exclusively:

1. If you guess wrong on the strength, you're out 30+ "monetary units".
2. If you accidentally "injure" one, you're also out the 30 units.

I use a 2.25 Amercian Cut where I'd normally use a 2.5 Vandoren or sometimes a 2. I find the Amercan Cut 2.25 better than the other Légère 2.25 and I don't really know why.

As witnessed by previous comments, standard advice I've always heard is to start with 2.5.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
There are two things about synthetic reeds, which I currently use exclusively:

1. If you guess wrong on the strength, you're out 30+ "monetary units".
2. If you accidentally "injure" one, you're also out the 30 units.

I use a 2.25 Amercian Cut where I'd normally use a 2.5 Vandoren or sometimes a 2. I find the Amercan Cut 2.25 better than the other Légère 2.25 and I don't really know why.

As witnessed by previous comments, standard advice I've always heard is to start with 2.5.
Thanks for your comments. Yes, the consensus seems to be 2.5. If I guess wrong I can exchange it at no cost through Legere if I keep the receipt to show them. I've exchanged several clarinet reeds over the years with no problem.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
If I guess wrong I can exchange it at no cost through Legere if I keep the receipt to show them. I've exchanged several clarinet reeds over the years with no problem.
People have written on this forum that you don't have to return the one you don't want, but I'm not sure that works here in France via Thomann. (I'll have to go look at their site.)
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
People have written on this forum that you don't have to return the one you don't want.
For the UK I can confirm that. I have just had my exchange approved and they said I don't have to return the current one due to COVID etc. Also I was over 30days from purchase (I didn't know this rule), they said they would do the exchange anyway as a one-off exception. Whatever you decide on the reeds, can't fault the service.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
For the UK I can confirm that. I have just had my exchange approved and they said I don't have to return the current one due to COVID etc. Also I was over 30days from purchase (I didn't know this rule), they said they would do the exchange anyway as a one-off exception. Whatever you decide on the reeds, can't fault the service.
WHere did you buy it?
 
Vote:
Upvote 0

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,061
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom