support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Learning to touch type

Some people get hung up on using the exact 'right fingers'. I wouldn't worry about it, best advice I have for upping your typing speed is to use real time chat things like msn. Doing that a bit each night you'll soon speed up. Just might be hard finding someone to talk to on those things of none of your friends use them regularly

As a former legal secretary, I can heartily endorse the "Mavis Beacon Typing Tutor" method.

In my prime typing days - I was up to 137 wpm with no errors. It teaches you keyboarding, tracks your weak keys, and then customizes exercises and time tests until you improve on those keys.

With all the new voice recognition software improvements, you might not need it! :)

As a former legal secretary, I can heartily endorse the "Mavis Beacon Typing Tutor" method.

In my prime typing days - I was up to 137 wpm with no errors. It teaches you keyboarding, tracks your weak keys, and then customizes exercises and time tests until you improve on those keys.

With all the new voice recognition software improvements, you might not need it! :)

Blimey Lu, that's pretty fast, must be a record. I can touch type around 50 wpm, now I feel positively snail-ish:crying:

I've also heard this one is pretty good.

I went to evening classes in the days before computers and learned to touch-type. I can't begin to tell you how useful the skill has been over the years. My top speed is only about 60-odd wpm but that's a lot faster than many new entrants to the admin sector.

Luluna, 137 wpm is very impressive. However my hubby once met a lady who made similar ... using the old two-fingered method! :shocked: He used to work for Imperial Typewriters many moons ago and they used to host an annual speed-typing competition for staff. The lady in question won it for several years running, I understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this will help but when the coffee spillage became too much for a four year old Apple keyboard with clicks, proudly bought the then new thin aluminium board and liked it.

Another unit resident dropped in one day to catch up with her emails, and said that she couldn't touch type on my silver beauty. As she was government trained Teletype operator, maybe it is the light, very short movement and lack of 'clicks' that is unsatisfactory to skilled users. That could be cured by using a different brand. Suggest that whatever course you use, see what keyboard works best for you.

Blimey Lu, that's pretty fast, must be a record. I can touch type around 50 wpm, now I feel positively snail-ish:crying:

Don't cry Pee Dee ;} 'tis a blessing and a curse to type fast...on one hand you can get things done rather quickly, on the other hand - everyone wants you to do their typing for them! :D

However my hubby once met a lady who made similar ... using the old two-fingered method! :shocked: He used to work for Imperial Typewriters many moons ago and they used to host an annual speed-typing competition for staff. The lady in question won it for several years running, I understand.

Both my daughters (25 and 17) do the 2 fingered pecking mode and are unbelievably fast - I just worry about overuse injury! :shocked: On the other hand, my husband and son (23) are unbelievably slow! (but maybe smarter because they get us girls to do their typing for them?)
In my younger years I entered a "Secretary's Day" competition in Chicago - and came in second for typing speed, bested by a classy and sassy 61 year old lady!

Years of typing at that speed for hours on end resulted in carpal tunnel injury for me. 60wpm sounds more reasonable and probably better for your wrists and fingers :)

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom