PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Last Words of Advice Before Lessons Begin

Good day all,
I hope my post finds everyone in good health and happily playing the sax; I hope to be doing the latter soon. I am a late bloomer/newbie to the tenor saxophone and I will start my lessons next Monday. I will be picking my hired tenor sax tomorrow from the music shop; a Yamaha YTS-23 with a Yamaha 4C mp (I believe that is the one that comes with the sax). Anyone have any words of advice before I begin? Is there anything that I should do to prepare for my first lesson? Thank you in advance for any comments :D
-Eduardo-

I just got used to assembling the sax especially installing a reed and to the feel of it in my hands. Had a couple of goes at producing sound but didn't go too far as I wanted to leave this for the lessons. Other than that just enjoy every minute and have fun.

I would try to focus on what you actually want to achieve from learning the sax and from having lessons, and be open and clear about how you would like to be taught. What is the music that you want to learn - there are all sorts of teachers out there - some with a classical music bias, some who mainly teach kids, some who are also pro musicians. I wanted to learn more recent jazz, rock and blues music, and had to change teachers to do this. I found it helpful that my teacher joined in and we would do some shared exercises.

Also that many tutor books are aimed at kids (A Tune a Day and similar) but there are some excellent ones aimed at adults (Jazz Method for Saxophone, by John O'Neill, and Creative Saxophone by Santin & Clark being two) which I personally preferred.
So, don't be afraid to give feedback and make demands, as well as learning the basics etc.

Don't forget the wiggley fingers bit. That's quite important

C# can be played without finger wiggling, though if the fingers don't depress any of the keys, a bit of wiggling might look cool even for that :cool:

I really ought to take lessons, too, though I haven't ever really come to any conclusions about what I want to learn, as Tom rightly suggests is important. I just know I enjoy it... :rolleyes:

Hope the lessons go well. Have fun!