SYOS

Tone Last resort!

thomsax

I'm not a teacher .... I'm not particular good at playing ..... but here are some thoughts that flew through my head when I heard you.

For who are you playing? I always play for someone. My wife, dog, a picture, the guys at the jam ...... try to reach out with music/sound.
More organic! Just play the tones/notes or play the words?
Put in some "Texas" (big and hot) in your tone. Use the whole body. Not just your head ..... .
Take more mouthpiece! You will then open your mouth more and you will also change your tone. Many modern mouthpieces are designed with a "low" beak. I prefer mouhtpices with "higher" beaks. Ordinary Berg Larsen ss, not the Duckbill design.
Move while you are playing. A few small steps, go down in your knees, play standing on one leg ... will help your tone to be less static.

Colin the Bear

You can be musical using a very basic microphone. I started out with a skype mic poked into the laptop.

The thing to work on is voicing and phrasing. Many threads on here recommend long tones. The point of doing them is to explore what one note is capable of. Learning to shape and control your sound is key.

Each note in a melody has an entrance and an exit with room for expression in between.

Jazz phrasing needs studying and practicing. Try playing 3 over a 4 beat so that a 4 4 becomes 12 8. Each crochet being triplet quavers. Passing notes and counter melody add interest. For me the saxophone sounds more interesting as it changes pitch so add a little movement.

Having said all that it's very common to be very disappointed with ones recorded sound.

sizzzzler

Tone. It would be useful to identify a player whose tone is similar to what you want to achieve.
Judging by your strong dislike of the sound you are getting now I suggest going in the opposite direction, towards the classical focused tone. A Vandoren Optimum AL3 and 6 vandoren blue reeds spread across 1 1/2, 2 and 2 1/2 should do. Everyone sounds good on an AL3.

swhnld

For your own reference and experience you might consider temporary switching to a classic setup like using a Selmer S80 C* mouth piece and Vandoren Traditional classic reed. It is the basic setup most students in my surroundings start with to develop tone and embouchure. Later they will start to experiment more open mouth pieces and other reeds, bending sounds, etc. Proper basics are the foundation they build on.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
For your own reference and experience you might consider temporary switching to a classic setup like using a Selmer S80 C* mouth piece and Vandoren Traditional classic reed. It is the basic setup most students in my surroundings start with to develop tone and embouchure. Later they will start to experiment more open mouth pieces and other reeds, bending sounds, etc. Proper basics are the foundation they build on.
This is good

I am forever questioning my sound and every so often I go back to mouthpieces I haven't played in a while. Going back to safe ground on a mouthpiece you have already mastered can give you a sense of where you are now and where you want to go

Taz

Busking Oracle
You've been a very naughty boy. Now go and stand in the corner ....and play. You will be amazed at how different you sound. What YOU hear is the sound of your sax resonating through your head. When standing in a corner, what you hear is the sound coming from the sax. It'll sound great in a conservatory or similar room.

ArtyLady

I can remember getting a similar sound to yours when I first started recording just via the phone, or the laptop, then with a lot of advice from everybody here - I'm a complete techno-numpty so excuse my pathetic explanation coming up! :rofl:

I set up to record through a box thing (that no longer works) using my Shure clip on gigging mic, and got a much better result! As others have said you need to be able to hear your dynamics and nuances :)

https://soundcloud.com/l-dee-2%2Flone-groove-with-reverb View: https://soundcloud.com/l-dee-2/lone-groove-with-reverb

Taz

Busking Oracle
I can remember getting a similar sound to yours when I first started recording just via the phone, or the laptop, then with a lot of advice from everybody here - I'm a complete techno-numpty so excuse my pathetic explanation coming up! :rofl:

I set up to record through a box thing (that no longer works) using my Shure clip on gigging mic, and got a much better result! As others have said you need to be able to hear your dynamics and nuances :)

https://soundcloud.com/l-dee-2%2Flone-groove-with-reverb View: https://soundcloud.com/l-dee-2/lone-groove-with-reverb
Welcome back Lorna, long time no see.

ArtyLady

Hi Taz! Yes I'm back into my Sax and the thumb is holding out! Hope you are well :)

OP
mpj.brennan

mpj.brennan

Persistent Pensioner
Subscriber

That sounded really good!

Hammie 1982

Whilst technically im not a great player and have alot to learn myself, I found myself questioning tone and so on recently too, changed mouth piece to a standard Yamaha 4C and slightly softer reed..... still sounded horrible to me!!!!

So i took the advice of an old orchestra player and stopped listening so hard....... "Neil, Stop listening to yourself so hard and listen to the song your playing in your head" took about a week to get what he meant but suddenly My wife was telling me the practice was paying off and the tone sounded smoother and less harsh!
I played in the play room standing looking at the wall (where the laptop was on a shelf) and could hear what was coming back to me from the wall instead of the vibration thru the instrument! Sounded better to me too......

I clipped a cheap mic into the input and recorded long tones and scales...... again big difference!!!

just keep at it!!! youll get there quicker than you think is possible!

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom