All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Crusaders - Last Call, anyone?

Tenortoon

Hey folks, been trawling the web flat trying to find chords for "Last Call", as done by Wilton Felder of the Crusaders. (ok, well not a total transcription, but just the chords'd be kinda nice.) But not finding anything at all. Surprising, it's a nice number, thought it'd be out there somewhere.
Please, does anyone have anything on that?

Pegwill

Hi Tenortoon
You might try band in a box (BIAB) it has the ability to import an audio file and then interpret the chords. How accurate this might be I cant say, but when I've played around with it this method seems work. I'm only a novice so really cant be sure, but it might be enough for you to go on.
Hope this helps
Regards

Tenortoon

Hi Pegwill! Thanks for the input there. I've got BIAB, somehow find it AMAZINGLY complicated though. I've heard some stuff other folks have done with it, and it's impressive to say the least. I remember trying it with another tune quite some time ago, and ended up with something pretty dubious, then converted it to a MIDI for some other, forgotten reason, and folded up with laughter at the result. I'll give it a go though, and see what it does. If the lights dim in your in your part of the world, it's just my ancient laptop folding up its wings and elegantly crashing its entire 384MB memory trying to run BIAB.:rofl:.. Thanks for the suggestion though, very worthwhile thought.:clapping: I'll let you know how it goes!:thumb:

Tenortoon

Eww, bit of a bust, I think. BIAB came up with around two zillion chords...:rofl: After some time messing around I decided I wanted to play the sax, not the computer, so I reverted back to trying to hack it into shape by listening and playing some approximations of the notes, trying to make some sense that way rather.

Anyway, I'm bunging a screenshot up here, the truth according to BIAB (sort of):headscratch:

Attachments

• Last Call BIAB.JPG
    Last Call BIAB.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 149

Pegwill

Hi Tenortoon
Yes I got something similar just in a different key. I'm not skilled enough to know if they are the right chords. I guess you really need to be a keyboard player. If you save it as a midi file you loose all feel of the tune as BIAB generates its own bass, drums and keyboard parts etc. This then looses all the feel of the original tune. With my copy of Last Call BIAB guessed the likely key was Eb, dont know if this helps. My copy of last call is also over 7 minutes long perhaps thats why there are so many chords, it doesnt distinguish the format of the tune (AABA or whatever) and just renders it as one piece of music. Other than that sorry I cant help, it was worth a try though.
Regards

Tenortoon

Hey Pegwill, thanks for giving it a go as well, I appreciate your efforts there:cheers:. Mine also rendered Eb by default, but I recall messing around with transposition a bit when I played some of the chords on the horn and they didn't match what I was hearing from BIAB. hehe, also tried the MIDI conversation and fell about the place laughing for a bit with the result.:happydance:

What I might try, is shorten the MP3 or WAV to just the first verse, and then another of just the chorus, and work from there. Although, frankly I'm not optimistic. If I have any luck, I'll be sure to post here with a how-to, for future reference.

I think I'm going to stick up some posters to see if I can swop my Tanglewood bass for a decent keyboard (that can synth a Hammond B3!!:mrcool)

Pegwill

Ha my favourite keyboard sound of all time, good taste. Not so good when you are trying to tune the sax though the as the warbling tone means you can get quite near, but perhaps not close enough. If time allows as I'm on holiday soon I will also have a play around. Like you I searched the web couldnt even find a guitar tab chart for it.
Regards
Bill

Speni

To get you going.....

Intro
Cm7/9 Gm7 Fm7.........Eb11

Verse
Abmaj7, G7+5, Csus4, C7
Fm7, Bb11, Ebmaj7. Bbm7, Bbm6

Tenortoon

Thanks Speni! I'll try it when I manage to get the horn out the box. Life's sorta gotten in the way of my playing and practice. Highly annoying....

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom