support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds La Voz reed adventure

jeremyjuicewah

Hi, a week or so ago I bought some la voz reeds on a recomendation here but mostly cos I liked the packet and they are quite cheap. I have been using Rico plasticised and orange for all my playing life and just wondered about a change.

I got MS, which I reckoned was 2.5 in a plasticised. I usually use 3 but didnt want to risk a reed too stiff to play so went on the safe side. I think I could have got 3 and will next time.

I am very happy with the la voz. Didnt even realise they are Rico till yesterday. Sadly they have not transformed me into a fabulous performer, the genius within is still waiting the right reed for release, but I have used them on my Link 7 metal and the tone is much brighter and the MS plays well up and down. With the plasticised 3 this mpc is so smoky, dark (insert adjective of day) that it is practically clogged up, which is why I have always liked this mpc, but the new brighter sound has grown on me, and the tone is still real good and Linky.

Only good things to say about this reed, but will buy something else soon. Why not try a new reed next time? Unless you have been round the block and tried them all, you may have a nice surprise.

Just thought I'd say, you know, what with being at work and rushed of me feet and all that.

Cheers
Mike

If you find the reed that releases the genius performer in you do let me know ;)

Must admit I a short time trying a couple of new mouthpieces for sop and bought a few different single reeds and found the comparisons interesting...............still didn't find the one though. :)

Jx

The worst bit with attractive reed packaging is when you grab a new one for a jam after a night at the pub, fit it and a distinct lack of musical noises is accompanied by a rather sweet flavour issues forth..... I Definately don`t recommend Quigleys Jazzy-Fruit or Spearmight reeds though they taste nice :doh:

Thas sivilised. When I lived in Sheffield in the dark ages I woke up with a hangover that sort or merged with the night before and found a whelk on my bedside chest, and, um ate it. Was more gristle than reed but who knows, a more skilled player than meself.....

Seems I was lucky. I do not like to think what they do if they do not like you. Them whelks, they used to come round the pubs with them in paper cones, bout 10 o'clock (half ten closing then) and all the parties who had been at the ale immoderately would buy them. And try to to eat them. The whelks of course would fight back. Turned vegetarian a couple of years ago and I wonder now how much those nights in
Sheffield pubs had to do with it. Come to think of it, I don't drink anymore either.

Vegeterian food is bit dangerous too. Brocolli. Who first thought of eating that stuff?

Back to reeds, well, cant live with them, cant live without them.
Happy Saturday
Mike

You find a Dogturd in the bell of your sax the next morning ........ not a welcome smell when you discover it to clean it out - its times like those that make you glad you`re a sax player and not the flute:eek:
At least with a flute when the audience starts to throw things they are less likely to end up in the instrument.

At least with a flute when the audience starts to throw things they are less likely to end up in the instrument.

True - baris are the worst in Saxes especially at one-level (no raised stage) venues for collecting detritus when left unattended - banana skins, crisp packets, fag ends, choccy bar wrappers and if the band is in the corner near the door to the bogs ------- well, I don`t even want to go into what can happen near the end of the night to a stand mounted one (Imagine coming back to play the last set to find a drunk having a slash in your 12M)

Vegeterian food is bit dangerous too. Brocolli. Who first thought of eating that stuff?

Probably some Italian looking for an alternative to Parma ham.

I am more concerned by eggs:
someone at some point thought "this ovoidal thing came out from that hen's a**, let's eat it!"

I voiced a similar disquiet bout the egg thing once in disgust at yet another bucketful of yukky eggs for brekky on a kibutz and they laughed at me and mocked me for an ignoramus. I am sorry to tell that my first wife was foremost in this abuse. I always knew I was not an anatomical dunce, where else could such a horrid thing come from? No, do not tell me, I am happy in my ignorance.

Ok, all that apart, for info, I just got my Alexander New York reeds. Nice and mellow, luvverly tin. Super packaging. Seriously, very nice reeds and quite different from La Voz. I will try some others next time. They are now in tins of 5 too, but still an expensive reed.
Cheers
Mike

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom