support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones King Zephyr bari

dooce

I'm tempted to go and have a look at a 1968 model that Allegro in Oxford have on offer. From what I've found, Zephyrs have a pretty good reputation.

Anyone got any first-hand experience - thoughts - things to look out for?

PS - I'm well familiar with Allegros owners eccentricities thanks!

Ha ha. You're not kidding either! Sorry, know nuffin about Zephers though my dad owned one, or was that a Zodiac. Which one had the fins?

Both. The Zodiac was a blinged-up version of the Zephyr. The Consul was the finless one. Allegro owners are eccentric because, er, they own cars with square steering wheels.

And now back to the question.......

:))):))):))) I had a funny feeling that the influence of Simons bari in the house and mine just a little way away, you fall under the bari spell >:) :)))

Sorry, I cant help with the question though.

Is it a King Zephyr with split bell keys? These models are based on a construction from the 20's. And you are blowing a modern Cannonball. They had the split bell key bari in the 1982 UMI catalouge as well. The model was then called 2407. The King Zephyrs alto and tenors are good and the King Zephyrs special is practically a King Super 20. King did a King Super 20 baritone as well. that has a good reputation. The Zephyr bari is not bad, but I would go for a modern bari. If it's a Zephyr with split bell keys.

Is it a King Zephyr with split bell keys? These models are based on a construction from the 20's. And you are blowing a modern Cannonball. They had the split bell key bari in the 1982 UMI catalouge as well. The model was then called 2407. The King Zephyrs alto and tenors are good and the King Zephyrs special is practically a King Super 20. King did a King Super 20 baritone as well. that has a good reputation. The Zephyr bari is not bad, but I would go for a modern bari. If it's a Zephyr with split bell keys.

Thanks Thom, useful information. Going from a modern instrument with great ergonomics back to a clunky old American device would concern me - I had a 10M before, so I know about that. I'll check out the split bell keys.

Thanks Thom, useful information. Going from a modern instrument with great ergonomics back to a clunky old American device would concern me - I had a 10M before, so I know about that. I'll check out the split bell keys.

I have an old Kohlert made bari from the 30's. A nice sax but it don't speak as I want it to do. The sound of the saxes changed over time. The became loader and loader and later the should even have fast action as well. I'm playing The Martin saxes. Roughly the same feeling/design from alto to bari. And I also picked Dukoff mpc that worked to my Martins. Pretty cheap and availalble. So I have the "right" feeling/sound on from alto to bari. Works for me. Often you can have difficulties to get a modern mouthpiece to work on an old sax (from the 20').

Thom, you were spot on. Nice enough instrument, but like playing something from the dark ages after a modern sax - far too much like hard work, and not worth the money being asked.

Just seems funny looking back - at how bad those cars were, and how the fashion was for brown cars - and a lot of allegros were brown.... very appropriate. At least you got the joke! But I think we're so far off topic that the mods will come and haunt us...

:))):))):))) I had a funny feeling that the influence of Simons bari in the house and mine just a little way away, you fall under the bari spell >:) :)))

Well mate, I know how pleased you are with your new purchase, but I'm sorry to tell you that "Mauriats are rubbish, poorly built and fall apart in 6 months". And this from a guy who has Ronnie Scotts Conn 10M in a display case in his shop, so he must know what he's talking about........

I didn't dare tell him I play a Cannonball.

:)))

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we all know the guy, and how much information he imparts to his customers. He had the Tubby Hayes tenor there a couple of months ago.

Nothing wrong with a Cannonball. Nelson used them to good effect. - Sorry, silly me again.

Well mate, I know how pleased you are with your new purchase, but I'm sorry to tell you that "Mauriats are rubbish, poorly built and fall apart in 6 months". And this from a guy who has Ronnie Scotts Conn 10M in a display case in his shop, so he must know what he's talking about........

I didn't dare tell him I play a Cannonball.

:)))

Have to mention that a pal bought a new Selmer La Voix alto about 18 months ago, low c post fell off, dry joint apparently - he spoke to Allagro & was sent packing, he didn't want to know - least he could have done was show sympathy?....

Having picked the Cannonball from all the others you tried means it was what you wanted & I don't believe you have regreted it, so be proud & loud!

(awaiting Rogerb to add more..)

Don't worry Bill, I've started playing will a safety net tied around my ankles just in case something should depart company with the poorly made contraption (I still love it by the way)

Back
Top Bottom