support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Keilwerth SX90R vs. Selmer Super Action II

I would give it a try to perform behind a curtain and see if the audience still prefers the Mark Vi

They didn't know which was which.
Put anouther m'piece on and it could have been a different result.
The thing about the MkVI is, that for me it feels the best (it almoast plays itself) and sounds the best. I LOVE IT, and so do a couple of other people.

Before this thread gets out of hand, I'd suggest that you pick your favourite - keys/ergonomics, especially. Cos you won't get a straight answer on any sax forum, just guys batting for their favourites. And remember that changing the mouthpiece/reed combination will have a big effect on sound as well.

If you really can't decide, take a coin and toss it....

If you decide to go for the Keilwerth, take a look at Stephen Howards review (linked earlier) and make sure your's doesn't have those same faults.

sure, we all have our favourite and rightly so. I hold Stephen Howard's opinion in the highest esteem but I also know that his findings were relative to older runs of the SX90R and that they were not across the board (he also found some well applied rims not only faulty ones) Besides, just before of the crisis (which seems to be resolved by the way, I know from a good source that they are now delivering horns to shops as we speak) they introduced the new Toneking which is a Sx90 without the rim on the tonehole.
Frankly, Selmer, Yamaha and Yanagisawa are great horns........but have a weak personality, this is not the case with a Keilwerth or , Rampone & Cazzani or Borgani

I owned an SX 90R alto which I liked the sound of but came to hate because of the rolled tone holes issue - most of the keys were sticky and no matter what I did I was forever cleaning them. In contrast my 66RUL which also has rounded tone holes has maybe had one or two minor stick in 2 years of regular, almost daily playing. Unless I'm mistaken, a better option may be the SX 90. Much cheaper and pretty much the same sax but without the rounded tone holes. I sold my SX90R 2 years ago and it was maybe 3/4 years old when at the time.

the SX90 were discontinued many years ago and only last year Keilwerth announced a pro model (Toneking) without rolled toneholes.

Few years ago, most companies making pads in Europe (which is most companies in the world really!) had to face new European environmental regulations which imposed a change in the composition of varnishes (pads are in general varnished to be waterproof) , many (and not only in this industry!) had problems with adapting to water based varnishes (see automotive industry ) and in the beginning there were many problems which seem to be gone now. This might explain also why modern rolled toneholes stick less than the ones made just a few years ago.

I couldn't agree more Kev. The m'piece/reed combination has the most influence on the sound. Who amongst us can say with any certainty, just from listening, which make of sax is playing?
Constructive advice is always welcome, I just don't think Selmer bashing is acceptable.

Semer bashing.... I don't know about that....it depends what you are talking about. The way modern Selmers are made? Great! No question about it. They way they sound, they are good. Personality? Don't get me started!

I have a Keilwerth SX90r tenor, in the standard gold lacquer, and love it. It's about 10years old. I don't have any problems with the rolled tone holes. I love the sound of it, and especially the full soft bottom end. The only thing I'd like to change is the stuffy middle D, but in truth that is improving with practice and change of mouthpiece.

I'll meet you in "The Crown" at eight. Is the "Dill Rhoobah" (or something like that) Indian, still there?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely go for the Selmer but as others have said, there are other great options too. I have owned and tried a number of Keilwerths and although as you say, they do have a characterful tone (not tinny, though! Were you using the horrible mouthpiece supplied?) their quality control is awful and it is difficult to get them set up to play well and to keep them that way. The Serie II Selmer is a well-established and reliable saxophone that can be played in any style. There are plenty of secondhand examples around.

Thanks so much guys for all the responses, its great to have so many opinions on this topic, and so quickly as well! I've been playing the saxes all week, and I've gone off the Selmer, but I still like the Keilwerth, but I'm not sure if it's 'the one'. I'm going back to the shop today to try some modern Japanese horns (Yannis and Yamahas), and to compare them with the keilwerth. Thanks to everyone and I'll let everyone know if I have trouble choosing again!

You might try a Mauriat if they have one - if you like 'characterful', these definitely have it and are nicely made.

Back
Top Bottom