Tutorials

Jack Heyworth & Son, Blackpool

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
Colin's post actually made me meander even further as I was going to reply to him that his idea, tempting as it might be, would probably land us in prison.. so only ascorbic acid is available on the counter. This thought led me to discover that the version in supplements is actually synthetic, so best to get it from real fruits and vegetables! I thought citrus fruits i.e the lemon juice on my counter would be best but amazingly enough, raw bell peppers beat that. Not only does this amazing vitamin stave off scurvy oooooooarrrrrrrrrrrrr Jim lad! It is responsible for making collagen and keeping your skin and hair looking young :p Female Vogue readers are prepared to pay hundreds of pounds for a few droplets in a capsule that they burst over their faces.... instead of just a couple of pounds down the market for a crate of the stuff in various forms.
Has this thread been
Shanghaied ?

Vetinari

Certainly as per the instrucion that all threads should be dealt with this way. At least until the moderators pull the plug. Then it all goes down the drain and eventually ends in the sea feeding the fishes.

Craig Heyworth

Hi everyone. I know it's an old post.

I'm Craig Heyworth. Jack Heyworth was my Great Great Grandad.

9 Forest Gate is a residential home which was part of the family at the time. I know Jack had a series of music stores. My Grandad has details of where in his family archives.

If you've any questions I can try to see what I can find?

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
I'm Craig Heyworth. Jack Heyworth was my Great Great Grandad.

If you've any questions I can try to see what I can find?
I can't believe I almost missed this!

Hiya! Yep, your great great granddad not only had a couple of shops, he was a big fish for Selmer saxophones in the UK, too. As he was the man who imported and sold my alto sax in 1927 I was just interested in anything I could find. Even a simple photo would be superb.

Bizarrely, in its 92 years the sax never seemingly left the north west. Well, not until I got my hands on it, anyway. And yes, it's still being played and still being gigged, although your great great granddad probably wouldn't appreciate the sort of music it's playing. :D

British Agents
J. Heyworth & Sons
Blackpool

Craig Heyworth

That's amazing to see! It's also great to hear it's still being gigged!

I just managed to get my hands on a clarinet that's stamped 'PARAMOUNT' Approved and Tested by Jack Heyworth.

I'd love to get my hands on more instruments, especially a Saxophone like yours. I've had my ear to the ground on eBay for 2 years and only just got this Clarinet 2 weeks ago! So if you've any ideas on where I might continue my search then let me know :).

I showed my Grandad the Clarinet 2 days ago and it was amazing to see his reaction to it.

Jack used to be a clarinettist and played in Blackpool's tower orchestra I believe. He started the business in a shed at the end of the garden at 9 Forest Gate, repairing instruments for his fellow musicians.

As you say he seemed to have quite the reputation for his instruments and mouthpieces particularly and was the sole importer at the time for Selmer from my understanding.

We have some pictures of him in our archives so I'll take some pictures when I'm next over at my Grandparents.

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
That's amazing to see! It's also great to hear it's still being gigged!
Sadly this is the only vid I have of it in action on stage:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=9fb5rMGzVuo

<edit>
Ooh, found a pic:

So if you've any ideas on where I might continue my search then let me know :).
This one was found in a junk shop. It also had an old mouthpiece with it when I found it but it had been irreparably damaged - as far as I could tell, damaged in the shop as the broken parts were still in the case. The mouthpiece cap, however, was usable so I was able to keep it. It's still used with the Selmer. And it's identical, if in slightly worse shape, to the one you've posted here.

We have some pictures of him in our archives so I'll take some pictures when I'm next over at my Grandparents.
That would be great. If you find any of his shop(s) I'd love to see those, too. :thumb:

Craig Heyworth

Hey there,

Ok I've got some pictures.

Picture 1 is of Jack Heyworth in the Tower roof garden in Blackpool.

In picture 2 Jack is near the centre - I've added a screenshot where I circle him out.

In picture 3, Jack is the man stood to the left side of the left pillar.

Picture 4 is of the Blackpool store.

Attachments

Top Bottom