supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Jack Heyworth & Son, Blackpool

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Can anyone help me find more information about this music shop/company that operated out of Blackpool for quite a few years?

As far as I can tell, they were quite a prestigious company at the time, who were agents for Selmer (which is why I'm interested as they were the people who originally sold my Modele 26 alto), as well as mouthpiece manufacturers and clarinet experts.

Their address was 9 Forest Gate and 161 Church Street, Blackpool. Photos would be cool, too. :D

Colin the Bear

Lelandais (Pickle Barrel) mouthpieces were stamped Jack Heyworth. I use one an tenor and alto. Strangely the exact same mouthpiece stamped Le Jazzeur seems to be collectable and sells for a lot more money.

Strangely googling it brings you back here.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Lelandais (Pickle Barrel) mouthpieces were stamped Jack Heyworth. .
There were also some slimmer ones, metal, HR and maybe plastic. The ones I've seen had a sort of groove almost as if for a built in Lawton style ligature, but I've never seen one with such a ligature.

I recall In the days before ebay and the sudden exploitation of the word "vintage" these were commonly to be found in the bottom of mouthpiece drawers, or just thrown out as nobody seemed to want them any more.

Last edited:

altissimo

Unfortunately the only people I could've asked are no longer with us, but there must've been a lot of dance bands played the summer season in Blackpool. So there could still be some elderly musicians who'd remember Jack Heyworth's, but finding them would be tricky. You could contact the Blackpool Gazette and ask if they've anything in their archives - http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/contact-us
Heyworth's seem to have been one of the largest woodwind retailers in the country, but as you've found there's little to be found about them other than old adverts
jack heyworth ad.JPG

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
You could contact the Blackpool Gazette and ask if they've anything in their archives - contact us - Blackpool Gazette
Now there's an idea!

Heyworth's seem to have been one of the largest woodwind retailers in the country, but as you've found there's little to be found about them other than old adverts
It is a little strange how a company that appeared to behave so well known has managed to all but disappear.

O.C.V.

Sorry about the previous post. Don't know what happened.
I just wanted to say that I also have an alto which was bought from Heyworths by its previous owner.
It's a Buescher Aristocrat (1939). He bought it in1941, as he graduated, and used it as a professional
for 50 years. I also have his Selmer Soloist m'piece, also from Heyworths.
Doesn't help you at all but it's just another link to Heyworths.
O.C.V.

altissimo

looking on Google street view, it looks like there's a new block of flats on that end of Forest Gate in Blackpool, so maybe that's where Heyworth's former premises were..
the most recent advert for the company available online is 1937 and nothing post WWII, so possible for some reason the company didn't survive the war - premises may have been requisitioned for war work or maybe the son was called up and lost in action and there was no one to carry on the business - who knows?

Also see if there are any local history societies or forums in Blackpool - the history of Blackpool's music halls has probably been researched and someone may have come across something about Jack Heyworth in the process

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
The only other info I've found up to now is that the company was established in 1906 and ceased trading in 1950. Started by Jack Heyworth and later joined by his son, William.

Dibbs

I have a clarinet stamped:

"Lucian Bassi Sole Agents J. Heyworth & Son Blackpool Paris London"

I'm pretty sure it was actually made by Kohlert so the "Sole Agents" claim is moot.

They were also sole agents for E.J. Albert's clarinets which was a real maker not a stencil.

Top Bottom