• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Is this the Instrument or is it me?

BigT

Member
Messages
144
Location
England
Ì have just started playing a recently acquired YTS 62. The horn has just returned from having a service and complete set of new pads fitted. The issue is that most times I move from or to any note using the octave key and back the top octave arm bounces. For example E to A the crook octave arm bounces causing a squeak. I have also noted that compared to my Alto the Octave key spring seems much weaker, about 1/2 the strength. I should say that I do not have this issue with the Alto. As I started playing during the first lock down I have not been able to get any face to face tuition, plus there is a dearth of tutors within easy distance of me here in Hertfordshire. If I had a tutor I am sure they could diagnose the issue as me or the instrument. Any advice welcomed.
 
I have a YTS-62, and I have never noticed that the crook octave arm bounces.

One simple thing to check is whether the octave arm spring on the crook has slipped sideways out of its cradle - it should be in the middle.
 
I have a YTS-62, and I have never noticed that the crook octave arm bounces.

One simple thing to check is whether the octave arm spring on the crook has slipped sideways out of its cradle - it should be in the middle.
Hi Nigel, no, both springs, crook and pad are in the right positions.
 
Sounds like the crook key spring has been set too weak.
It's an easy thing to fix - you just need to remove the crook key and bend the spring slightly.
The only thing you have to watch is that you don't break the spring at the base - which you can avoid by putting your thumb over the little screw that holds it on. Press down firmly to support the spring at this point, then bend the other end down a tad. Refit the key and test. Repeat as necessary.
 
Sounds like the crook key spring has been set too weak.
It's an easy thing to fix - you just need to remove the crook key and bend the spring slightly.
The only thing you have to watch is that you don't break the spring at the base - which you can avoid by putting your thumb over the little screw that holds it on. Press down firmly to support the spring at this point, then bend the other end down a tad. Refit the key and test. Repeat as necessary.
Hi Stephen, I think you are on track with that, thank you. I tried a “bush fix“ today by tying a small elastic band round the crook key and crook. Seems to have done the job, so I’ll have a go at tensioning the spring. BTW the horn was re padded by GDW, he sends his regards.
 
Hi Stephen, I think you are on track with that, thank you. I tried a “bush fix“ today by tying a small elastic band round the crook key and crook. Seems to have done the job, so I’ll have a go at tensioning the spring. BTW the horn was re padded by GDW, he sends his regards.
Yep, an elastic band will do the job - but fixing the spring is a 5 minute job (30 seconds if you know how to do it with the key in situ).
And if you get stuck, Graham will be only too happy to sort it for you.
 
So I have managed to adjust the crook octave key spring, if I bend it anymore it won’t re engage with the groove on the neck, but I am still getting the bounce without the rubber band on. Where can I get a new spring from?
 
It surely must re-engage with the spring channel, because you haven't altered the length of the spring.
The trick is to seat the spring in the channel first, then push the key down between the pillars.

You can check whether the spring is of the correct tension with a bit of Blu-Tack. Roll some up into a ball of about 25mm diameter - or, if you have some scales, a lump of about 20 grammes is what you need. Stick it on top of the octave key cup, turn the crook over - and the spring should just about hold the pad against the octave key pip.
If the key falls open freely, the spring is probably a bit too light.
octave key blutack test.webp


Another cause of bounce is the plastic tube on the pin key (the bit that sticks up from the body and connects with the crook key). This hardens with age. If you wrap a piece of masking tape around it and the bouncing stops, it's time to get a new pin key tube fitted.
 
Unless I am missing something another cause of neck octave bounce can be when there is not a space between the ring and the post that extends from the saxophone. There should be 1.5 - 2mm space between them. My test is to finger G and hit the thumb key several times. The neck key should not lift or bounce. If it does, it is out of adjustment.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,261
Messages
575,990
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom