support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

How well do you know your instrument?

neilius

You might think this sounds like an easy exercise, but it is diabolically deceptive, and is a great (and simple) exercise that forces you to play almost every note on the instrument, and most intervals. And you don't need any sheet music for it!

Don't dismiss it till you've tried it.

1. Play "Happy Birthday" in the key of C. The starting note is G.

2. The finishing note is C. Now start the tune on C. You'll be playing in the key of F.

3. You'll finish on a Bb. Start the tune on this note. Whatever note you finish on, start the tune again on this note. This means you'll always start in a new key, working backwards through the circle of 5ths.

4. If the note is too high, start an octave lower.

5. Each time you'll play the turn in a different key, and if you keep doing it you'll cycle through all 12 keys.

6. If you make a mistake in any key, you have to start the tune again in that key.

How long does it take you to play the tune in all 12 keys without making a mistake?

It took me about half an hour, and at the end, I really meant it when I said "Hip Hip Hooray".

My sax teacher suggested that to improve my playing, I should be proficient in every key, and suggested a good way to learn that is to be able to play a simple tune like "Happy Birthday" in every key without hesitation or mistakes.

I think brass players have an advantage over woodwind players because they have to think "intervallically" due to the nature of their instrument. On the saxophone you put down or open the right keys and you are pretty much guaranteed that note will come out. On a brass instrument one has to "hear" and buzz the correct pitch in addition to pushing the right valves down to get the desired note.

12 notes and three buttons, and they look at the saxophone and say it looks complicated. :confused:

yes, I agree that the benefits are great.

especially for folks who want to improvise.

Last edited: