PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Is our Morgan Fry already so popular?

Moriyasu also do Lebayle, Guardala, Berg Larsen and Lawton "inspired" mouthpieces...
reports on SOTW indicate that they're not as good as the real thing and may need extra refacing work - you may as well buy the originals and not hsve to worry about it getting here from China and paying 20% VAT...

Copyright only applies to Books, music, artwork - the stuff you find on paper. I'm not sure who's copying whom. Any patent on a Florida Link would have expired many yeares ago.

So it's an expensive copy of an old US product that may or may not work well.

Morgan's Floridated links work really well. For the price the chinese are asking, Morgan's make sense. 'nuff said.

Copyright is a funny thing - as I understand it, you can copyright an idea, but not the expression of an idea. I set up a business in Hong Kong (so essentially UK law) with my own intellectual property working across Asia and approached a copyright lawyer about how I could protect myself. He basically said forget it. Anyone can take, for example, your Powerpoint, alter three words and it's theirs.

With something physical - like a mouthpiece - you might be in with a better chance of proving plagiarism but in China???? If Rolex can't stop copies coming out of Asia, then Morgan - with great respect - has no chance!

LOL. nice find, Al. can you believe they've got the nerve to copy the same old Bobby Dukoff shank that I copied!?! Interested in this titanium silver alloy, though.

Their website is hilarious! I really fancy the Ox Horn mouthpiece but I can't decide on whether to go for the 8 year old cow at $250 or the 15 year old at $558.

Does anyone have any experience of the relative merits of 8 year old or 15 year old cows?

Perhaps we might start a separate thread?

I do foresee a problem, however. When asked the standard opening question, "What horn do you play?", how does one respond?

"Selmer" or "15 year old ox"?

Last edited by a moderator:
can you believe they've got the nerve to copy the same old Bobby Dukoff shank that I copied!?!
You should be quite honoured. And it means that they actually had one of your pieces in their hands, to copy shank and font.
Or maybe you are the one the buys them from China, changes the logo e adds a teeth rest...

Does anyone have any experience of the relative merits of 8 year old or 15 year old cows?

Do mean those 15 year old cows that populate Oxford Street during half term, jamming the underground, screaming "OMG"?

You should know that material does not make a difference. I am tempted to report you to another well known saxophone forum.

Really Aldevis, a player of your experience should know better>:). Titanium silver vibrates at a different frequency therefore the sound waves react in a new way:shocked:, never been heard before in the saxophone.. It's all cutting edge snake oil:w00t:, designed with the intent of relieving the poor hard working sax player of his £'s/$'s:))):))).. Also you should know that every single sax player can hear the difference:confused:, Metal or HR. it doesn't matter the player has NOTHING to do with the tone>:).:))):))):)))

You should know that material does not make a difference. I am tempted to report you to another well known saxophone forum.

OMG the ebonite police are coming! Seriously, though, it looks like there's a Ti/Ag alloy in dental use, never heard of the stuff before. If it's workable enough and cheap enough and pretty enough it might be better than having brass pieces plated.

yeah I saw an article recently about corrosion and Ti/Ag alloys..

The addition of Ag to titanium is found to be effective in
reducing the corrosion current density and increasing the
open-circuit potential of titanium in an artificial saliva environment.
Under anodic over-potentials, the Ti–Ag alloys also
exhibit reduced passivation corrosion densities compared to
the commercially pure Ti. The presence of fluoride leads
to higher corrosion current densities and lower open-circuit
potentials for the alloys.

http://lbmd.coe.pku.edu.cn/pdf/2009dm.pdf

and according to this article :http://www.jsdmd.jp/2008/27-2ee-9.pdf

it has quite good Machinability...

OMG the ebonite police are coming! Seriously, though, it looks like there's a Ti/Ag alloy in dental use, never heard of the stuff before. If it's workable enough and cheap enough and pretty enough it might be better than having brass pieces plated.

Keep us posted. I guess you are not thinking of casting, but bars.

[/I]http://lbmd.coe.pku.edu.cn/pdf/2009dm.pdf

and according to this article :http://www.jsdmd.jp/2008/27-2ee-9.pdf

it has quite good Machinability...

Thanks for those. FWIW looking at the second one -- the machinability is not what I would call quite good, although it is better than titanium. The recommended feed per tooth for brass is 175 times faster than the fastest speed they used here. Some back-of-the-envelope calculations tells me it would take somewhere between 100 and 200 times as long for me to machine a mouthpiece out of this stuff.

Thanks for those. FWIW looking at the second one -- the machinability is not what I would call quite good, although it is better than titanium. The recommended feed per tooth for brass is 175 times faster than the fastest speed they used here. Some back-of-the-envelope calculations tells me it would take somewhere between 100 and 200 times as long for me to machine a mouthpiece out of this stuff.

yes I was talking in comparance to titanium..

but how long does it take you to machine a mpc? (just raw machining)

The 'yasu' / 安 bit of the name means 'cheap' in Japanese. A misnomer, perhaps.

Furthermore, 'mori' (森) means forest, and it's not even made of wood.

Back
Top Bottom