support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Is my sax out of tune?

You're right, Colin, those sound clips are awful. It's a wonder they sell any of the things with that kind of marketing.

I thought the sound clips were ok shame about the tune they chose to keep repeating maybe it's the ole earing aids playing up....john

Never really thought of the sop sax as a "folk" instrument. And still don't, having heard that....

Eek! Those samples are terrible - some of the notes seemed way off....

Aldevis's English is excellent.

Is there a smilie with satanic laughters? (that stuff is mine - plentiful of evidence around...discrediting - add that to the rest: obscurantism, ostracism and so on...“The public will forgive everything but genius” –Oscar Wilde? Seen it all before eh?).

The excuse of language barriers is pathetic - more an attack on a personal level....in truth some are deeply frightened by new concepts (verging to the irrational if you ask me)
If someone doesn't like Bebop style no one should stop others learning about it - same with De-transposing...if someone feels uncomfortable with that just leave it - but why stopping others to know about it?...Fear your tutor one day forces you to learn it? (chuckle)...cos' let's face it, some can only do what the tutor says.
It's about variety and choice.
To see messages disappearing in ideologies grounds is very sad indeed....

smiley-whacky110.gif

Is there a smilie with satanic laughters? (that stuff is mine - plentiful of evidence around...discrediting - add that to the rest: obscurantism, ostracism and so on...“The public will forgive everything but genius” –Oscar Wilde? Seen it all before eh?).

The excuse of language barriers is pathetic - more an attack on a personal level....in truth some are deeply frightened by new concepts (verging to the irrational if you ask me)
If someone doesn't like Bebop style no one should stop others learning about it - same with De-transposing...if someone feels uncomfortable with that just leave it - but why stopping others to know about it?...Fear your tutor one day forces you to learn it? (chuckle)...cos' let's face it, some can only do what the tutor says.
It's about variety and choice.
To see messages disappearing in ideologies grounds is very sad indeed....

As your location is not noted could you clarify one thing; is English your first language?

IMHO i recon music is like the english language...................theres lots of things going on with it that if it were rewritten would probably be done differently.
for example the latest generation with their texting language
alot of it makes perfect sense ..........why complicate it with silent "h"s and "U"s after "Q" etc.

Im just touching on some transposing now ...........
Whats with....... E that becomes F# .......and A# that becomes C ????????????????

Yeh ! Yeh ! I know .............its complicated.....................whatever!!!!!!!!!!!
Allansto

Im just touching on some transposing now ...........
Whats with....... E that becomes F# .......and A# that becomes C ????????????????

Yeh ! Yeh ! I know .............its complicated.....................whatever!!!!!!!!!!!
Allansto
Well, E becomes F# because E to F is a semitone, not a whole tone. That way we can play/write a C major scale (which has two semitone intervals in it) without any sharps or flats (If we were re-inventing the system now I think C would be called "A"). So E (which for example is the 7th note of an F major scale) becomes F# (seventh note of a G major scale).

A# really becomes B# (seventh note of C# major or more usually C# minor) but B# is the same as C.

It makes sense after a while, and alternative notations would be just as confusing in their own ways.

Well, E becomes F# because E to F is a semitone, not a whole tone. That way we can play/write a C major scale (which has two semitone intervals in it) without any sharps or flats (If we were re-inventing the system now I think C would be called "A"). So E (which for example is the 7th note of an F major scale) becomes F# (seventh note of a G major scale).

A# really becomes B# (seventh note of C# major or more usually C# minor) but B# is the same as C.

It makes sense after a while, and alternative notations would be just as confusing in their own ways.
True.

Question say a piece a piano i'm playing with is composed in A major. And I have a copy of of the same untransposed music(I have an alto sax).

Would I just need to play all the C major sharps/flats in their proper place and leave everything alone. I mean the notes would still have the same relations right, so it should sound the in tune with the piano?

Well A major on a piano probably wasn't a good example to pick(no accidentals in alto C major..) but you guys understand me, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I quite understand your question but this might(?) help: if the piano is in A major, your music would be transposed into F#major on alto - not an easy key!

The rule is - three sharps more or three flats less than the piano. So, if you are in A on the alto, then the piano is in C. If you're in C on the alto, the piano is in Ab.

"Typo here - 3 flats is Eb."

Sorry - shouldn't reply about tech stuff when you're rushing to a gig!

Apologies if I've misled you, comoesa!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom