• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner impro Is B# the same note as C?

cappers

Senior Member
Messages
1,506
Location
Sussex, UK
I would like to check something please, just want to ensure I'm correct.

I have a piece in E Major so the key sig has F# C# G# D#. The intro is C# B# C# A C# B C# A repeated 2x.

I think B# is enharmonic to C so do I play C natural or C# as in the key sig?

Thank you.
 
Solution
Play B#. Yes, it has the same fingering and pitch as C natural, but it's B#. I would guess that the underlying chord is C# major or something similar with 7 sharps. It also might be that a better choice for the copyist would have been to notate that as C natural. It doesn't matter, play B# there.
There's an anecdote in the book "How Equal Temperament Ruined Harmony" about a well-known conductor having problems tuning an orchestral chord, which I think was Bmin (B D# F#). I think it was the opening of Tchaikovsky symphony #6 that was the problem. The 'problem' was the D# which in just intonation needs to be 'flatter' than an Eb. The third is the most problematic interval (major and minor) in ET as it is the one that is the most 'out of tune'.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
There's an anecdote in the book "How Equal Temperament Ruined Harmony" about a well-known conductor having problems tuning an orchestral chord
That’s a great book, I really enjoyed it. I should read it again. I often think of it when I read or watch videos about orchestral auditions, where the candidates are expected to play perfectly in tune - checked by a tuner, presumably one tuned to ET. This has become a make or break skill in the professional world these days, largely due to the advent of electronic instruments and their “perfect” tuning. All too often to the detriment of the music… (just my opinion…)
 
Vote:
Upvote 0

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,258
Messages
575,901
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom