support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Intonation problem.

Tommy Ng

Hi all

I have a problem with intonation and need some advice. I downloaded backing tracks from youtube but found that they are all flat (not 100% sure though). I used to tune the sax with a tuner but those backing tracks appear to be flat.

Would it be possible that my computer or the headphone plays it flat? Is there a way to check if my backing tracks are in tune (440Hz)?

I have recorded a few clips in youtube and would appreciate if someone can let me know if I played them in tune.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas ;}

tom.

I listened to your Youtube clip. Very nice tone and playing. For the most part you are perfectly in tune. I only heard a few places where notes (that weren't intentional slides) slipped slightly. In all cases you were flat, which is just a matter of embouchure and support for your tone. There were a few notes between 1:05 and 1:12, one at 1:59, 3:14, and 3:29. None of these were extreme and wouldn’t probably be noticed by your average listener. I don’t think it has anything to do with the recording, or your sax. It’s just embouchure and support.

Is there a way to check if my backing tracks are in tune (440Hz)?
I listened to the link in your signature and agree with Wade, that your playing is very well in tune. I played along with a part of the video on my electronic keyboard and the backing tracks seem to be right at A=440. You can check yourself if you have access to a fixed pitch instrument.

I listened to your Youtube clip. Very nice tone and playing. For the most part you are perfectly in tune. I only heard a few places where notes (that weren't intentional slides) slipped slightly. In all cases you were flat, which is just a matter of embouchure and support for your tone. There were a few notes between 1:05 and 1:12, one at 1:59, 3:14, and 3:29. None of these were extreme and wouldn’t probably be noticed by your average listener. I don’t think it has anything to do with the recording, or your sax. It’s just embouchure and support.

Thank you so much for your help :)

I listened to the link in your signature and agree with Wade, that your playing is very well in tune. I played along with a part of the video on my electronic keyboard and the backing tracks seem to be right at A=440. You can check yourself if you have access to a fixed pitch instrument.

Thanks jbt :)