support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Incoming....! Personal GAS attack.....

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I’m not normally a particularly GAS-y sort of chap but, in an uncharacteristic shake up of my own set up, I’ve just acquired me a new tenor. My Mauriat’s served me faithfully for several years and always seemed perfect for my brand of maximum R&B and free jazz. However- I’ve recently discovered a horn which covers all those bases and feels to offer me more, well, sonic potential- for want of a better term. I’d never claim to be a great sax player but I know enough to know what works well and do get a chance to tinker around with a lot of horns- for better or worse....
Currently on its way to me is one of Trevor James’ new Raw/unlacquered, big bell horns (Stephen Howard’s done a very comprehensive review of this sax, which is well worth a read). Very excited about this one- I’ve got a couple of studio sessions coming up soon which are really going to put this horn through its paces….. soundscape, atmospherics which stand or fall entirely on tone and, to some extent, ease of harmonics (plus I've got good old Fat45 for a bit of a 1950s R&B workout). Will report back when I’ve got completely to grips with the new arrival…

Congratulations Jules - and Steve Howard has got one himself. They must be pretty special.

Presumably you have played one or several - can you describe the sound, or maybe compare it to other horns. For instance, compared with the Mauriat is it louder, brighter, more flexible, more in tune or .... ?

The ones I have seen are the brown ones - don't know whether that is a special finish or no finish at all. I don't really like that look, when you could have a shiny silver or gold or black saxophone.

Rhys

PS Seems quite brave to use a new arrival on studio sessions.

Congrats on your new baby Jules.Yes they look very nice indeed.As you said i find my system 54 bare brass tenor in the 66r vibe but like you with your Raw I flexible and responsive.Theres some great horns flying about now.How is the ergos on the TJ.

"PS Seems quite brave to use a new arrival on studio sessions. "- Not quite as it sounds, i'm booking the date so I'll only do it once I'm up to speed on the thing....
Will report back soon with a full write up on the beast.....

Hi Jules

Congratulations on your new horn,I'm down in London for a weekend in the middle of Feb and this is one horn I'm hoping to try,only the alto version,just haven't told the wife yet,still it might be worth the ear bashing LOL

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly liked the alto...seems like the tenor is able to prize open a wallet where many others have tried and failed.
I just hope my more local woodwind shops are unable to get stock!!!!

I've come in on this one a bit late Trev, but if you need a lift ANYWHERE, I'll gladly come back and oblige. We could make it a fun event, I've just had a nice tax rebate!

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom