support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures In need of a good, robust single-screw metal tenor ligature. What are people's preferences?

when I notice a big difference in sound but for me the expensive ligs sound no different to lower cost options.
This is the problem there is never a massive difference, which is why justifying £300 as opposed to £10-30 is the main problem for me, get one that fits is the main criteria.
I have said before the likes of the legends played on simple 2 screw ligs and they sounded great.
I grew up playing on a Yani HR alto, most of the 2 screw ligs worked on it, maybe the tenor might be different.
I can also recommend the Absolute lig, simple but effective although the price has risen a bit since I bought mine.

I use the BG L13 which is described as being dark and warm but I find it has much more kick and edge than the Revelation. I would never have looked for it on my own from that description, it came with the mouthpiece. The dreaded Amazon sells them and the prices fluctuate, they’re usually just over £30 but I got one recently for £23. I think Dawkes will send you three on trial, presumably they expect you to keep one, so they might be worth a look.

The Selmer looks good and straightforward and just do the job, how is it for sizing? I’m using a fat rubber RPC tenor mpc that a lot of ligs won’t get near, the reason I bought the FL was because it was the first I found thar would fit. The thing that did it for me with the Silversteins was when they added a chunk of money on for cryoing. That smacks of taking people for fools. I know somebody who swears by his Silverstein and am sure it works well, he’s a pro for what it’s worth, but extra for a couple of bits of frozen metal is too much.
I use it with a 10mfan robusto and it fits well. Loads of room for adjustment (there’s still plenty of gap to tighten further and the threads are long so lots of room to slacken). It conforms nicely to the mouthpiece and is made of metal that will give a little to shape round the reed and mouthpiece, but once shaped stays put. I like it for no hassle simplicit.

This is the problem there is never a massive difference, which is why justifying £300 as opposed to £10-30 is the main problem for me, get one that fits is the main criteria.
I have said before the likes of the legends played on simple 2 screw ligs and they sounded great.
I grew up playing on a Yani HR alto, most of the 2 screw ligs worked on it, maybe the tenor might be different.
I can also recommend the Absolute lig, simple but effective although the price has risen a bit since I bought mine.
Yep, totally agree. I’ve got a simple 2 screw on my guardala mouthpiece. WorkEd perfectly well for Brecker so I’ll never out play it!!!

I use it with a 10mfan robusto and it fits well. Loads of room for adjustment (there’s still plenty of gap to tighten further and the threads are long so lots of room to slacken). It conforms nicely to the mouthpiece and is made of metal that will give a little to shape round the reed and mouthpiece, but once shaped stays put. I like it for no hassle simplicit.

Great thanks, it sounds like a good fit.

I’ve used a Selmer single screw lig for years... works perfectly and is relatively cheap. Spend the money on the mouthpiece not the lig as it makes far more of a difference
Selmer Ligature
Just ordered the Selmer for £23.50. My bank account is happy.

(Now if I could just stop daydreaming about that new Boston Sax Shop ligature and the Ishimori...BE STRONG ALEX!)

I have not read all 3 pages about ligs because my interest in ligs is limited. However, Marc Jean makes a really nice lig. Good guy too!

Let me know how you get on with the Optimum. Maybe mine was bent or the V16 version was in the box by mistake...

Just to confirm, you are right it doesn’t fit.

The front band fits quite well but the back doesn’t, you too need unscrew fully out to even get it over the mouthpiece.

Let me how the selmer fits, I need one too for the same mouthpiece.

Richard

Just moving this from 1 screw ligs to 2 screws for a moment...

Has anyone tried the new Boston Sax Shop lig and can they compare it to the Ishimori/Wood Stone lig?

Just moving this from 1 screw ligs to 2 screws for a moment...

Has anyone tried the new Boston Sax Shop lig and can they compare it to the Ishimori/Wood Stone lig?

You must be joking, right? :oops:

Never tried this lig...I always thought it didn't look very robust! Do you use it regularly?

I have used virtually exclusively a rovner platinum (do have a marc jean which is now just a backup) for the last 4 years and it is the most robust metal ligature I have ever used and looks exactly the same as when I first bought is (as a relatively cheap but very good looking stop gap!). It holds the legere reed extremely securely yet does not dampen the reed (as the marc jean does in comparison good as it actually is).

Can you tell I am very pleased with it!

Regards Rikki

I use two Rovners. Platinum and an old Ed Daniels. Both are the type of ligs that leaves most of the stock of the reed "open". Ed Daniels model looks like an ordinary styled Rovner. But there is 3 differnt changeable plates.

Me too. The BG13 is the only one I've ever used. I bought it some 25 years ago with my 1st sax. I've used it on 5 different (ebonite) mpc's over the years and as yet, I've had no reason to replace it. Guess I've been lucky.

Mike

I use the BG L13 which is described as being dark and warm but I find it has much more kick and edge than the Revelation. I would never have looked for it on my own from that description, it came with the mouthpiece. The dreaded Amazon sells them and the prices fluctuate, they’re usually just over £30 but I got one recently for £23. I think Dawkes will send you three on trial, presumably they expect you to keep one, so they might be worth a look.

Me too. The BG13 is the only one I've ever used. I bought it some 25 years ago with my 1st sax. I've used it on 5 different (ebonite) mpc's over the years and as yet, I've had no reason to replace it. Guess I've been lucky.

Mike
This was the first lig I used for alto and I really liked it for a long time. I just got handed it in the sax store when I was trying out my new alto and it did the job! It seemed to strike a happy medium between fabric and metal in sound and response. If I can find a cheap one I may have a go with tenor.

My Selmer 1 screw (tenor) arrived but I haven't tried it yet. Seems nice and sturdy and looks to be a good fit for my Yanagisawa MP.

Off topic - Just had minor abdominal surgery yesterday (it's an ongoing thing with me)...came round in recovery to loud & continuous Kenny G playing! I asked for more painkillers and my headphones & phone. Got the painkillers...

Back
Top Bottom