All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs In need of a good, robust single-screw metal tenor ligature. What are people's preferences?

OP
Alexandra

Alexandra

Subscriber
Locality
London, Greater London
Locality
UK
  • The supplied lig is awful, threads won't work and sharp edges.
It really is. It seems a such an odd thing given the mouthpiece seems nice, the sax expensive, to supply a really, really crappy lig.

I have an optimum. I put it only quickly, I thought it fitted?! I'll try it again. The mouthpiece is probably not my thing, and I don't have the right reeds to play it, so I only tried for a few minutes.

Richard

OP
Alexandra

Alexandra

Subscriber
Locality
London, Greater London
It really is. It seems a such an odd thing given the mouthpiece seems nice, the sax expensive, to supply a really, really crappy lig.

I have an optimum. I put it only quickly, I thought it fitted?! I'll try it again.
I couldn't agree more! You'd think they'd include their fancy Sixs ligature for the money the sax cost us! The Yany Sixs ligature doesn't even come with a cap - you have to buy that separately. Madness for a lig that costs over £160.

Let me know how you get on with the Optimum. Maybe mine was bent or the V16 version was in the box by mistake...

OP
Alexandra

Alexandra

Subscriber
Locality
London, Greater London
I’ve used a Selmer single screw lig for years... works perfectly and is relatively cheap. Spend the money on the mouthpiece not the lig as it makes far more of a difference
Selmer Ligature
I might try this first...Nice and cheap (cheap being a relative term with all sax accessories).

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
You can get very similar and acceptable quality on ebay for £6. If you measure your mouthpiece circumference and work out the diameter there are lots on there with dimensions. I have a box full of spare ligs. A cheap mistake isn't a disaster. It goes in the box in the drawer for future reference.

If your current lig has problems with the screw there's screws available too.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Locality
France
It's even translated into EN and DE. For those who don't write with a feather in the garden or smoke a pipe. ;)

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
Silverstein's ligature is not a shoe lace. It certainly is expensive but it is a really well thought ligature. I've tried one. It's excellent but i really don't justify the cost.

Adjusting the reed and having a correct mouthpiece (flat table etc.) eliminates the need for "squeezing" ligatures in order to get a good response ....

Good reed-> Small adjustments to the reed with no1. flattening the table -> correct placement of a suitable ligature is all you need IMHO at any level of playing.

stom

Silverstein's ligature is not a shoe lace. It certainly is expensive but it is a really well thought ligature. I've tried one. It's excellent but i really don't justify the cost.

Adjusting the reed and having a correct mouthpiece (flat table etc.) eliminates the need for "squeezing" ligatures in order to get a good response ....

Good reed-> Small adjustments to the reed with no1. flattening the table -> correct placement of a suitable ligature is all you need IMHO at any level of playing.
The shoe lace description was firmly tongue in cheek.
I singled out Silverstein as an example due to their extortionate cost. I’ve no doubt that they work well and they certainly look pretty but they are basically saxophone jewellery, just as many of the other high priced ligs are.
I’m happy to spend a lot when I notice a big difference in sound but for me the expensive ligs sound no different to lower cost options. Others may find differences...

Jimmymack

Locality
London
The Selmer looks good and straightforward and just do the job, how is it for sizing? I’m using a fat rubber RPC tenor mpc that a lot of ligs won’t get near, the reason I bought the FL was because it was the first I found thar would fit. The thing that did it for me with the Silversteins was when they added a chunk of money on for cryoing. That smacks of taking people for fools. I know somebody who swears by his Silverstein and am sure it works well, he’s a pro for what it’s worth, but extra for a couple of bits of frozen metal is too much.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6