All profit supporting   special needs music

Improvisation - sexy, but maybe overrated?

Glad our beloved moderator agrees. It's always been my philosophy that if I deviate in my own post, it's ok.

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Glad our beloved moderator agrees. It's always been my philosophy that if I deviate in my own post, it's ok.

Noooooo!
The OP, more than anyone, is responsible for absolute conformance with the the original topic.
If Café threads are allowed to deviate even a small amount from the straight and narrow path, where will it end?
I foresee only chaos. :old:

nigeld

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Ah! Improvisation is a form of organised chaos.

Chaos was the state of matter before the universe was reduced to order.
So if improvisation is chaotic, it must transcend organisation and link back to a primordial source.
In which case I assert that II V I and Eb7#9 can have no place in improvisation. :old:

I always suspected that learning arpeggios was unnecessary.
Saxophone players of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your diminished sevenths. :sax::sax::sax:

Locality
UK
So if improvisation is chaotic, it must transcend organisation and link back to a primordial source.
In which case I assert that II V I and Eb7#9 can have no place in improvisation. :old:

Saxophone players of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your diminished sevenths. :sax::sax::sax:
I-v-

Locality
UK

ii-v-i gets a lot of stick on here. It's just a progression of chords and has no rules upon which choice of notes you choose to play over them. You can play nothing!
As for arpeggios - they are part of the building blocks of 'modern' western music. Mozart would cackle at such a statement about learning them being unnecessary.
Any practice you do in any area is preparation for anything that might come along. A facilitator. I think that many people on here seem to be looking for shortcuts. The only shortcut is having a good system of practising, not leaving out vast parts of basic technique. It isn't indoctrinating - it's merely informative. Freedom of what to play is always your own choice. Think outside the box, practice differently. Play one note over the ii-v-i - Dm7 - G7 - C - play a D. An A. B. E. G.... Play two notes.. play 17 - who cares, they're your choices....
7#9 chords are a wonderful colour and are used extensively in jazz, classical and some pop too (Steely Dan to name but one).

Perhaps you were merely being humorous - as I was..

Locality
UK
No, I just told @Pete Effamy that I think he as OP has the right to be OT. The last time I remember pointing out OT was in a long collection of reggae where a discussion of racism was about to become contentious. However, thanks for your valuable input.
As John Lennon once said - S'alright.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom