support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Identifying a Conn Shooting Star Alto Saxophone

Yup I can attest they have just gotten cheaper and cheaper to acquire....the altos, particularly. The 16M's, they have actually held their values very well over the years.

But the 50M's...whether USA or MX....I rarely even bother acquiring one anymore, although I can find project ones for around $100. Their final selling prices after my refurb just doesn't justify my flipping 'em any longer.

Pre 1955 the Shooting Starr ( Director) was the Pan-American line of Conn. The alto became the 14M, Tenor 16M. They had wire guards until around 1962/63. What year are they quit marking the numbers I do not know. As JayeNM mentioned they became the 50M. Although the same star motif on the bell.
The body tube dimensions and sound can be equated to a 10M or 6M. For a unanimous vote I will also say these are great players and highly underrated. I have 2 16m & 1 14m from ’59 & ‘61.
The stacks and build on these is quite durable. There are some differences in the key work between the artist line and the Director line. Not very common but the directors were available in a silver plate finish.

C8CCB253-E60C-41CD-A213-63D5294D3DFC.jpeg
C5DA3F83-4042-4CD4-B24B-7B8F5B5B0ECD.jpeg

I just snagged one for $225, the seller started out at $400:eek:. I watched the ad, it came down to $275. I was going to offer $225 but didn't....my definition of low balling someone:mad:. Turns out the seller listed it for $225. Opportunity presented itself, no need to low ball;). Paid $20 for shipping, I should have it in two days. Despite what 'some' may say about the Shooting Star Mexiconn, how well a horn can play depends largely on who's lips are doing the kissing.

what's your opinion of the 7M? Ever owned one?
Conn 7M (high pitch alto) and Conn 11M (high pitch tenor) are often good saxes. Not so much played and often plated (silver or gold). A multi-instrumentalist (sax, fiddle, accordion, harmonica, tenor guitar (4 strings .... ) is playing relative modern music on his 7M and 11M. A very good player and fun to listen to as well. I wanted him to sign up on CS when we talked about HP saxes for some weeks ago.

The one I was referring to is the modern 7M Conn. Their pro line, low pitch, alto.
I've had one:

I do vaguely recall some confusion over repeated model numbering where Conn used the same number on early and late horns. Helpful of them.

Last edited:
11M and 13m was more less the same saxes. 13M is more modern key tuches and some other things. 11M was made in Elkhart and 13M in Nogales. Both models had a piece (non-conical) added with low B tonehole. UMI 14M bari was to low Bb. If you ordered a Conn Baritone 13M back in the 20's you would get a HP baritone. The Conn 14M back in the 20's was a LP bass saxophone. Conn didn't made HP bass saxes.