Lately I am getting the feeling that I progressing into a new realm of my musical progression. It’s like I have accumulated enough musical experience, knowledge and practice to attain a certain “critical mass” that has set off a sort of (slow) chain reaction.
I did get the theory about all the different scales, chords and “all that jazz”. I understood it all, could use it in exercises. But I didn’t make the practical connection to playing the saxophone. With the corona lockdown I got a bit more time available, and so I practiced a bit more than I used to do. That practice was oriented on some technical aspects of playing, on getting a good embouchure/ breath support/ tone and on playing arpegio’s.
And the last week I have gotten the impression that my playing has gotten in a new phase. First I had a frustrating period (over the last month or so) where I got the impression that my playing has gotten worse. But I have experienced such apparent setback’s in other activities in the past and I know that it was probably due to getting to a higher level and noticing the stuff that I have always done wrong and didn’t notice before.
But this last week There is a new vigour in my musical experience, I am looking into the chords of the pieces I am practicing, putting in a bit more time and perseverance.
I like this, It’s a nice feeling. And I wanted to share this with you all here.
I did get the theory about all the different scales, chords and “all that jazz”. I understood it all, could use it in exercises. But I didn’t make the practical connection to playing the saxophone. With the corona lockdown I got a bit more time available, and so I practiced a bit more than I used to do. That practice was oriented on some technical aspects of playing, on getting a good embouchure/ breath support/ tone and on playing arpegio’s.
And the last week I have gotten the impression that my playing has gotten in a new phase. First I had a frustrating period (over the last month or so) where I got the impression that my playing has gotten worse. But I have experienced such apparent setback’s in other activities in the past and I know that it was probably due to getting to a higher level and noticing the stuff that I have always done wrong and didn’t notice before.
But this last week There is a new vigour in my musical experience, I am looking into the chords of the pieces I am practicing, putting in a bit more time and perseverance.
I like this, It’s a nice feeling. And I wanted to share this with you all here.
