PPT mouthpieces

I get a kick (a short tale)....

Saxlicker

Locality
Breakfast room since '06 UK
Every now and then a good friend and I go on a sax frenzy that contains largely of MKVI hunting. Not everyones preference I know but between us, having played at length, Conns, Kings, yanagisawas, yamahas, mkVII's, super 80's and more, we know what we keep coming back to.
Some times we buy, he buys or I buy dependig on how stretched the finances are that year.
In recent years he has had far more GAS and seemedly more spare cash than me so with each rung he climbs on the ladder to MKVI heaven I attempt to step on the one he left behind.

Today, for the first time in years we had a frenzy. Recently he has had a fortunate run of sax related purchases after being in the right place at the right time. Today we met up and subsequently I have had a day of being 'kid in the toy shop'.
4 MKVi's, exotic mouthpieces including florida links, early babbitt links, metal, rubber, old bergs to try in comparision to my own collections and we set foot in a work shop full of repair tooling and parts junk yard... Maybe some people just want to play but for me this was paradise.

Well, the upshot is, I think I may be trading my trusty MKVi after experiencing the 7 year itch...
Strange though how, for the first time we've reached a cross roads in preference. Clearly he sounds better on his new project than his old one, yet for once, If I had to choose between the two for my personal use, I would take his old one not the new one. One suits him, one suits me better than my current one. That's the first time that has happened. This posting is long enough so I won't go into anymore detail...just leaving me to say that there are fairly logical reasons for it but it's a real turn up for the books that I would prefer his cast off for once!!!
everyone's a winner!!!!
So wether it be, Mauriats, PPT's, LAW's or super 20's,
Happy hunting everyone!!!

Sounds like a great day. I did a similar thing recently with Mauriats, Yamahas and Mk VIs. An acute lack of money (none) meant I went home empty handed.

Did you try any new horns when you trying out the Mk VIs?

I've got a friend who has just sold a great Mk VI (I borrowed it for a couple weeks a while ago) and bought a Keilworth - says its the best horn he has ever owned. I'm looking forward to hearing it - he's borrowing my RPC so I'll make sure I have some ear plugs to hand!

Enjoy your new horn!

ps: what mouthpiece are you playing with it?

Did you try any new horns when you trying out the Mk VIs?

Enjoy your new horn!

ps: what mouthpiece are you playing with it?

Hi Josh,
No new horns around us this time...

Thanks I will enjoy it....much:D It's a later serial # than the one I already have but it's a great player and prettier too!

Still using RPC 115B but must eventually try a PPT or even an RPC 105R but generally speaking I struggle under 0.110" . I have a Laser trimmed Guardala Cresent I have that sounds gorgeous but the tip opening 0.107" means it stays in the box. One day I will experiment more with reeds for it to see if I can get a sound without keep closing it off.

Have you tryed the Woodwind Exchange in Bradford,Stu own's the place and he has many MK6's in to try,i got all mine from him and he has great mp range also.The MK6's are top dollar there but you get to try many so you find a good 1 so it swing's in round about's.I still prefer my Mauriat 66RUL to any MK6 i have owned and am very happy for once.

Thanks for that,
I haven't actually ventured that far North in our hunting but I am aware of woodwind exchange having spoken to them some years ago. But one day!!!:D

Glad the Mauriat is working out for you...
The only time I have heard a Mauriat was at the opening of the new sax.co.uk in Crowborough in the hands of Andy Brush and very nice it was too....

I tried some Mauriat tenors today and came away liking one very much.
I can certainly understand why people say they're like a modern MK VI, but to me they were completely different.

The MK VI feels small, light and slick (just wants to play faster and faster under my hands) which I associate more with the feel of Yamaha/Yanagisawa horns than Mauriat. I find the Mauriat to be very smooth and a quick action, but it feels big under the fingers and doesn't seem quite as snappy.

Where I do agree is the sound. They've got loads of it, and a real depth and richness to it.

Lee I agree with you, re the ergonomics - the comfortable spacing and placement of the keys on a mark vi

The palm keys for example fit just right in my hands and even on a SA80 series 2 like the mauriat, they're not so well placed.

I do however love the mauriats particulalry the unlacquered tenor.

I have also sold my mark 6's the alto went in favour of a Yanigasawa 500, It out played my 6. Tenor went as I wasnt playing it and the money was better used on my two kids the house and the wife.

The best sax for ergo's for me is a Yamaha every time.There so slick and fall under your finger's,hand's very well,mk6's are like that also as both very close key placement.My best sax's i have owned are my Mauriat's,Keilwerth sX90,Borgani Jubilee then i would put my many Selmer's, and the rest last.As you can see i favour the big bore,big bell,very spread sound compared to a more Selmer centered tone and my best horn's all had that Conn American sound scape going on,not the more French centered thing.As with the ergo's on the Mauriat i love it,can whizz about very fast even though it is more spread out in key placement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the upshot is, I think I may be trading my trusty MKVi after experiencing the 7 year itch...

If you're trading, perhaps you might be interested in some kind of deal with a superb example of a Buescher TH&C tenor?

Hi Pete,
I meant I was trading MKvi to different MKvi...sorry for any confusion.

If only I could afford another horn as well :D

Saxlicker

Back
Top Bottom