support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Huge Stencil Sax Listing

Orsi made sopranino, bass and contrabass for"LA Sax".
Kohlert Grazlitz made "Star".
Keilwerth (Nauheim) made "Wikena".

the list can be very, very long.

I didn't spot Weltclang in the list of manufacturers,I have a Dearman Superior which I believe is a Weltclang stencil

If I may add a couple of entries here.

If you look at this older thread, there are details about my Renoux Super Rex alto that is obviously a Robert Drouet. Small french manufacturer that's being reffered to in more details here.

Renoux Super Rex (Bourges - France) => Robert Drouet

I also have a Robert Martin Tenor made by Maurice Boiste. Here is a discussion about Boiste with a few pics.

Amati also made the "B&H 400", Yanagisawa also made Vito and Whitehall
I'm sure I'll think of more!

I have a Keilwerth Tone King stamped "La Sete".
Do you have photos of this horn? For all the talk of JK making La Sete stencils, I cannot find one that wasn't made by D&J.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jazzaferri said:
Strasser Marigaux Lemaire produced horns for Pichard (French reed maker) I have a Vito branded bari that Sandro Massullo (Massullo Music) told me was made by Martin

Your Vito, does it have the domed key cups we associate with King saxes? Happen to have a couple of pics you could fire off to me. I'm curious, since King made so few stencils. I'd appreciate it. I won't use them in my gallery, I'd just like to see them for myself.

As I was going through all the posts on this list researching and adding to my spreadsheet, I realized that I made a mistake when I replied to your thread. You noted that according to Massulo's, your horn was a Martin, NOT a King. :doh:

Yah, my brain was pretty much fried when I was working on this over the weekend, which is why I took a few days off and started this with fresh eyes again today.

In any event, request for pic still holds. If you've got 'em, I'd appreciate a few for myself only. At this point I'm just collecting what I can so that in the future I can say that "I really saw them".

Thanks!

Do you have photos of this horn? For all the talk of JK making La Sete stencils, I cannot find one that wasn't made by D&J.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Can do. I'll sort it out tomorrow.

Orsi made sopranino, bass and contrabass for"LA Sax".
Kohlert Grazlitz made "Star".
Keilwerth (Nauheim) made "Wikena".

the list can be very, very long.

Thank you for reminding me about Orsi. I had completely forgotten about their foray into LA Sax's large and small saxophone world. (They also made the LA Sax bass IIRC.)

Funny you mention Star under Kohlert, I have a bunch of Star horns that I haven't ID'd yet. Many are from FX Hüller, but others? Interesting...

Never heard of the Wikena stencil for JK. Keilwerth just went crazy with the stencilling. Their list is getting nearly as long as that of the old B&S.

I didn't spot Weltclang in the list of manufacturers,I have a Dearman Superior which I believe is a Weltclang stencil

Weltklang wasn't a manufacturer, but rather a 2nd line of B&S--listed under VEB. I have lots of pics of Dearman horns, but like the Star horns I mentioned above, I haven't yet ID'd them. That said, I haven't seen one that clearly jumps out at me and screams: "I'm a Weltklang stencil".

If you have some pics you can send me, I'll gladly try and ID your horn for you. I won't use the photos in my gallery--unless you give me express permission. I would just use them to help you ID your sax, and for my own personal collection to help me ID horns in the future.

If I may add a couple of entries here.

If you look at this older thread, there are details about my Renoux Super Rex alto that is obviously a Robert Drouet. Small french manufacturer that's being reffered to in more details here.

Renoux Super Rex (Bourges - France) => Robert Drouet

I also have a Robert Martin Tenor made by Maurice Boiste. Here is a discussion about Boiste with a few pics.

Thank you very much. Your Drouet stencil alto is amazingly beautiful! I have never heard of this brand before. Their similarity to Pierret is remarkable--but not particularly surprising.

I am also rather smitten with your Boiste-stencilled Robert Martin. I have always like the look of these Boiste horns, but have never had the opportunity to play one. I assume that they would be very similar to my Pierret in tone.

Funny you mention Star under Kohlert, I have a bunch of Star horns that I haven't ID'd yet. Many are from FX Hüller, but others? Interesting...
Star was certainly one of the Kohlert brands/models. Many said Kohlert on the sax as well - iterations of Kohlert & Sons in the language of the country the sax was made for. I've seen this in Czech, German and French. I've not seen anything to give meaning to the different model/brand names, though. I have two, one with VKS key guards branded Popular. The other branded Star with wire guards.

Never heard of the Wikena stencil for JK. Keilwerth just went crazy with the stencilling. Their list is getting nearly as long as that of the old B&S.
Gerhard Keilwerth confirmed for 8 years ago that Keilwerth, Nauheim made the "Wikena" saxes. I wasn't shure?

Thank you so much Nick for taking the time to upload those pics of your horn. It is the first--and so far only--JK made Le Sete Professional that I have seen.

Star was certainly one of the Kohlert brands/models. Many said Kohlert on the sax as well - iterations of Kohlert & Sons in the language of the country the sax was made for. I've seen this in Czech, German and French. I've not seen anything to give meaning to the different model/brand names, though. I have two, one with VKS key guards branded Popular. The other branded Star with wire guards.

I'm just putting the F.X. Hüller stencil names together, and was looking at the F.X. Hüller.com website's collection of Star models. I had forgotten that Jos had ID'd a couple of these horns as likely built by JK, perhaps Amati-assembled with some FX Hüller parts. Interesting theory. Regardless, none of the FX Star horns look anything like the Kohlert Star models I have seen.

Kevin you mention the wire and VKS Star models. I had forgotten that I have an example of both in my gallery. Comparing either one to the FX horns leaves me just scratching my head...

This is important work. Archiving and recording is so important. It worries me in this digital age that future historians will struggle as finding archives will surely prove difficult.
In another life, my serious hobby was astronomy and I went to a lot of lectures over the years on the history of science and astronomy - anyone in the field will know how good Dr. Allan Chapman from Oxford is and how much he has found from digging in unexpected places. Even the society I used to belong to had its minutes book etc archived in the city archive, so there is a complete record back to 1880s and they have a committee member whose job it is to look after these things.
It's so important for future historians that we document the present.

"Who made what" , "is it a stencil of a brandholder", "a stencil or second line sax"...... ? I also think this is interesting. And useful as well. I often meet young sax players that says the bought a Martin when it's an Indiana. Indiana can be very good and nice saxes. But sometimes they can pay too much a for second sax. The seller says "The Indiana" is the same as "The Martin". In the saxophone world there was a home industry as well. Saxes were made in the kitchens, woodsheds ..... of skilled sax workers. Stencils?

Back
Top Bottom