• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones How will Tariffs affect Sax Prices?

I find it interesting the post Covid inflation on say, professional level keyboards in US. 5 years ago, I bought a Korg PA1000 and PA600 (one for home other for "field" use), $1,950 US and $900 US respectively.

Today, the same is going for $3,000 US and $1,700 US respectively. This is quite a jump on costs. (They jumped an additional $400 since a couple months ago due to tariffs?) 😱

(I love Korg Pro arrangers because their backing beats are more like a small combo or band versus others which try to imitate large bands and orchestras. It is like an inexpensive "Casio" that one day decided to become an adult.) 😉

The new Antigua Winds "intermediate" model low A bari (plays like a pro model) I bought during Covid on clearance for $2,500 US shipping and tax included (2014 model in new condition then for $4,400), equivalent sax is now going for say, $6,600 US. :confused:
 
I spotted a second US store where the price of the intermediair Jupiter jbs1000 bari was double the European price. Probably a reaction to tariffs.
Living the other side of the pond, it has been an overall recurring observation over time. I did not understand why here in US, we seem to pay substantially higher prices for brand name instruments than Europe even prior to the recent developments, even though we do not have VAT.

Since I play as a "hobbyist" rather than for pay gravitated me toward decent but "underdog" instruments (stencils, lesser used alternate brands, etc.)

Similar to how I obtained my "underground" copy of the Real Book in the 1980's (from a Ramen eating friend in the band who played pro outside; picture us in the back alley behind the bandroom with the boot to his car open, him handing me the book covered in a paper bag with me quietly slipping him $25, I asked him no questions and he gave me no answers, - nah, being facetious. 😉 ), I imagine the "pros" have their own "heads up" internal sources so they can afford a pro instrument, either new or in good repaired condition. 😀
 
Don't you have state and federal taxes which effectively equate to the same thing? A sales tax.
Each state has their own taxation. Some municipalities have taxes above the state tax. Here, we have it called, Gross Receipts Tax. Where I am at it is currently 7,9375%.

This is considerably less than EU VAT, and as such does not explain why our musical instrument prices have been escalated over EU, especially for brand name instruments for a long time.
 
Due to the recently decreased US and China tariffs he price of the jbs1000 will drop slowly from around $7000 to around $4000. The next introduction is the jbs1100 with a slight increase in price. Price in Europe is still 3,555 euro.

In the EU the baseline of product quality is higher due to legal customer protection. In the US you just have to pay more for quality.
 
Any economic hardships in your municipality?
Would your question be best answered by a short video?


It is humorous but was disdained by local politicians, .... 😉 Actually I am being a littlefacetious, but we are considered to be in an economically depressed area.

However that has little to do with my position on tariffs and sax prices overall. :mrcool
 
Due to the recently decreased US and China tariffs he price of the jbs1000 will drop slowly from around $7000 to around $4000. The next introduction is the jbs1100 with a slight increase in price. Price in Europe is still 3,555 euro.

In the EU the baseline of product quality is higher due to legal customer protection. In the US you just have to pay more for quality.
What is the country of origin for the JBS1000? China and Taiwan are not the same.

Beyond that, tariffs are charged on products entering the port while the tariffs are active. A lot of the effects of tariffs are yet to be seen because retailers are selling stock they acquired before the tariffs were enacted.
 
The Jean Paul AS400 is now $672.48 from $627.02 in April on Amazon with the Glory at $208.99. Only a $1.00 change for the Glory but an increase of $45.46 for the Jean Paul. It could be anything pushing the cost up. It could be US wages as I think the Jean Paul is assembled in Florida.
An interesting statement here from Jean Paul:

I just noticed that Amazon also has a "premium bundle" AS400 for $649.95. I don't see much of a difference.
 
Videos like the one of Clovis can be found for several places in Ohio. Just type in "Mingo Junction" on YouTube. The Ohio river valley was hit very hard in the 70's by steel mill closings that really haven't recovered. It's an area that I served for 40 years and I still feel a connection to the people there.
 
Each state has their own taxation. Some municipalities have taxes above the state tax. Here, we have it called, Gross Receipts Tax. Where I am at it is currently 7,9375%.

This is considerably less than EU VAT, and as such does not explain why our musical instrument prices have been escalated over EU, especially for brand name instruments for a long time.
The data I gave you was from a New Mexico government website.

That figure read wrong to me as well, looks like they meant 7.9375%
 
That figure read wrong to me as well, looks like they meant 7.9375%
It is related to my browser's language settings, it is not English. Perhaps I should have altered it, but thought because we have an international audience who are used to alternate representations of the same, would see through it. Apparently New Mexico's website recognises alternate lingual settings.
 
I guessed it was either an alternative way of writing or a typo. Comma decimal separators are common in Europe but not the UK. Nearly 8000% sales tax seemed a bit high even in these troubled times.
 
What is the country of origin for the JBS1000? China and Taiwan are not the same.

Beyond that, tariffs are charged on products entering the port while the tariffs are active. A lot of the effects of tariffs are yet to be seen because retailers are selling stock they acquired before the tariffs were enacted.
Jupiter has factories in both countries, so they can smuggle with the country of origine. When a JBS 1000 comes from a container delivered from China with made in China on the import paper the bakhshees to make it Taiwanees could be hefty. I took a bari as example because they are often out of stock, but sell more frequint than bass saxophones.
 
Jupiter has factories in both countries, so they can smuggle with the country of origine. When a JBS 1000 comes from a container delivered from China with made in China on the import paper the bakhshees to make it Taiwanees could be hefty. I took a bari as example because they are often out of stock, but sell more frequint than bass saxophones.
Please let us know whether you have actual knowledge of such practices or are providing speculation. Given that the tariffs are higher on China than Taiwan, it makes no sense to "smuggle" Taiwanese-made horns with those from China.
 
Jupiter has factories in both countries, so they can smuggle with the country of origine.
I am a little concerned about posts on the Cafe site accusing reputable manufactures such as Jupiter of illegal practices such as smuggling. We may need to delete some posts for legal reasons. Or is this just a language/translation issue?
Please let us know whether you have actual knowledge of such practices or are providing speculation. Given that the tariffs are higher on China than Taiwan, it makes no sense to "smuggle" Taiwanese-made horns with those from China.
 

Trending

Forum statistics

Topics
32,291
Messages
576,912
Members
8,094
Latest member
nilocssss
Back
Top Bottom