support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

How to remove super glue from laquer

compound

Locality
Manchester.
Does any one know how to get super glue off laquer, iwas changing a piece of cork when it fell off the tweezer's face down on a key cup.I managed to get it quick but too late, what a mess. Any idea's gratefully recieved.
Rob.

Yup. Super Glue Solvent. Put it on carefully with a Q Tip, bit by bit. Try it first on a bit of the sax you can't see, such as under the roll of the bell. Check it doesn't mark the lacquer. Should come off easy enough.

Jon

Hi Jon,
Thank's for the advice, has it got a special name, and where can i get it
Rob.

Hi Rob

The super glue remover I have seen is sold in a twin pack with the glue itself. Not sure exactly what is in it, which is why I said test it on a non-visible area first.

Der Wikinger is also right to be cautious about nail polish remover, which is acetone based. Could strip the outer layer off the lacquer.

The other thing you could try is a very careful application of physical force. Super Glue is hard and quite brittle when it dries. If you get something non-abrasive such as a lolly stick or a plastice plant label you might be able to dislodge the spillage by pushing against the edge of the glue blob. Again, though, be very careful.

Jon

Superglue is not comlpetely waterproof. long term it'll come off with soaking and detergent. Should be lacquer safe as well.

Hi All,
I double checked with Steve Howard and it was super glue remover. Worked great, not a mark left. Steve told me don't use acetone it doesn't work and will strip the lacquer. So now we know for sure.
Cheer's Rob.

Acetone works great. 25 years ago I had an evil teenager fill the lock to the door of my house with crazy glue. I had to Brake into my house, then disassembled the lock, soaked it in acetone, dried it, lubricated it, put it back in the door and I was good to go. So . . . acetone does work, but that super glue remover might be better (I'll bet if you check the ingredients, you will find acetone. That's the only thing I know of that will cut crazy glue.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesbut if it damages the lacquer it's no good, that's what steve say's. And he know's what he's talking about.

And the moral of this story is:-

The inside of locks are unlaquered, because they sound better.

Does any one know how to get super glue off laquer, iwas changing a piece of cork when it fell off the tweezer's face down on a key cup.I managed to get it quick but too late, what a mess. Any idea's gratefully recieved.
Rob.
I remember this happening to me in my very early sax playing days. Got superglue all over the body of my rather cheap alto. Now I use a contact adhesive like Evostik. Because it dries with a rubbery effect, any excess glue you get on the sax itself can be rubbed off with your fingers. Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention, you can also use needles stuck in bigger pieces of cork, intead of tweezers. Less chance of the cork coming off and it gives you more flexibility.