support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

How Not to Cure Fluffy Low Notes

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
I've found low C# to Bb unstable of late

Today I actually did something about it... I placed a leak light (torch on an extendable wand), saw the G# key lifting when playing pinkie table, switched room light back on, took torch out, adjusted G# screw in 1/8 turns, three times, until low notes played perfectly

Then back with leak light to see if G# lifting... No leak seen, lights back on

Playing again I notice low note stability isn't 100%

Decide it's me, not machine then catch sight in mirror...

Oi be an iriot,
20191031_161403.jpg

Just a l'il tip...

Once you've set the G# regulation by play testing, spend some time testing the response of the F and E (in both octave).
As the G# adjuster is screwed down, it increasingly holds the Aux.F key cup off the tonehole. As such it's often necessary to adjust the regulation from the F and E keys to compenstate...and it can be a bit of a trial and error balancing act.
If you don't have regulation adjusters on the lower stack you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way (fiddling with bits of cork).

Just a l'il tip...

Once you've set the G# regulation by play testing, spend some time testing the response of the F and E (in both octave).
As the G# adjuster is screwed down, it increasingly holds the Aux.F key cup off the tonehole. As such it's often necessary to adjust the regulation from the F and E keys to compenstate...and it can be a bit of a trial and error balancing act.
If you don't have regulation adjusters on the lower stack you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way (fiddling with bits of cork).
Thanks for the advice... It occurred to me that there might be a knock on effect somewhere or other and I'll go back and concentrate on the F n' E

There are other adjusting screws in the vicinity on this tenor Sequoia... Specifically one adjacent to the G# screw (from memory) so I'll have a look

I say a built-in leak light would be a killer feature!
Actually back in Portland I had a photographer friend, and he LOVED taking photos of my horns with a leak light illuminated inside the horn....they looked hella cool, too. I'd imagine onstange it would be even cooler as one is playing, as the sax would be twinkling with every note.

Hmmmm.....:cool:

It seems a popular thing lately to have saxophone playing with a DJ. Some extravert movement is required which excludes me. If you google LED sax you'll see what I mean. A little bit Blackpool Illuminations for my taste ;)

Actually back in Portland I had a photographer friend, and he LOVED taking photos of my horns with a leak light illuminated inside the horn....they looked hella cool, too. I'd imagine onstange it would be even cooler as one is playing, as the sax would be twinkling with every note.

Hmmmm.....:cool:

My other high-investment hobby is photography, and I have been planning to do just what you describe for several years. It's just that once I get a sax out I start to play it...

Had a Grafton alto once upon a time (translucent plastic). Looked great on a darkened stage with a little flashlight down the bell....

Well, with the popularity of what used to be unseen computer components (fans, memory modules, etc.) having LEDs that perform light shows inside the compute, it seems only a matter of time before saxophones follow suit.. It would have to be able to coordinate with the music before I'd be interested.

Well, with the popularity of what used to be unseen computer components (fans, memory modules, etc.) having LEDs that perform light shows inside the compute, it seems only a matter of time before saxophones follow suit.. It would have to be able to coordinate with the music before I'd be interested.
Way back in the 60s when senior management toured the computer room to show they were au fait with modern technology the engineers would remove the rear panels so they could see the indicator lights flashing and they went away happy.

... well... I do believe both of us had very stuffy notes on our saxes caused by the failure of the 'remove duster / pull-through / standard lamp / mattress from bell' protocol....
Sorry to be OTT but failure to remove a duster reminded me of a "situation" a few years ago when I was in the changing room of a fitness club and put my foot inside my training shoe which wouldn't fit because of what I thought to be sock in it, only to find a mouse had curled up in there. Mouse inevitably made it's escape and I had to exit stage left rather rapidly!

Back
Top Bottom