support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones How loud is the saxophone?

Good for you mate

Another of my neighbours (a House that backs onto my road) started playing the drums a couple of Years ago - seemingly in his conservatory as the noise was pretty full on! However, fair play to the guy he only ever practices at 'sensible' times. He was absolutely useless at first , but over time he's come on leaps and bounds. It's quite interesting to hear him progress.

Maybe hire a sax from sax.co.uk for a few months. Then you will know how loud it is and if you have to give up because of the neighbours you haven't got to try and sell it
paul

Yes, I joined the Café in August but I bought my sax in June, I think... I should know the date but my brain is tired and fuzzy today!
Yes, I agree. I play better when I’m not looking at dots; when I’ve memorised the tune at last and don’t need to hesitate over notes :)
Yes , that's another problem getting older lol ,, I don't remember like I used to , I think the best way is to just accept , how you sound , play , and just keep chipping away , I feel it's good to remind yourself it's not a race and with the right attitude we all get there in the end .

Maybe hire a sax from sax.co.uk for a few months. Then you will know how loud it is and if you have to give up because of the neighbours you haven't got to try and sell it
paul
I already have a sax , it's a knew bungalow I've just moved into .

It would probably have been a different ruling if instead of a couple of cute children it had been an OAP with a saxophone.
Lucky for us they got there first then :)

Jx

As has been said above as long as you show a little consideration for your neighbours by not practicing early in the morning or late at night there shouldn’t be a problem, I live in a maisonette/apartment and I practice daily at around 6pm, have done now for several months and have had no complaints
Yes a sax is loud especially when we are beginners but just get one, play it and have fun at reasonable times
:sax:

I think most people worry about disturbing the neighbours, myself included. but It probably doesn't bother them as much as we think. I wish somebody next door to me played a musical instrument that I could hear in the distance, it always makes me smile when I hear someone practising. Get yourself a Saxophone (maybe a rental, I presume they still do rentals)? Talk to your neighbours and tell them what you are doing and ask them to let you know if you are disturbing them. They will probably be fine about it.

@bensax don't be put off. I'm sure your neighbours have all done their fair share of banging and drilling. I know mine have! On one side is a couple who are constantly whacking with hammers and drills and on the other is an old man who has a room full of karaoke and dj equipment. Well that's what it sounds like anyway when he's listening to rock n' roll from 7am
I've almost paralysed myself with fear however *trying* not to bother anyone whilst I'm practicing at home and this has seriously marred both my enjoyment of my beloved sax and also my practice times. I'm a considerate person to the extreme that it's actually detrimental to my own happiness and well being! :(
Some parts of practice involve a lot of repetition not only of the scales but also the songs you learn if you are having lessons.
I echo the Prof. Buy your sax, do what you can to limit the noise with doors and windows shut and enjoy it. Playing into a wardrobe? No.
You shouldn't worry so much, talk to you neighbours and ask them if they mind, I used to live in a shared house in Northampton and play quite a lot, a neighbour once asked me if it was me that played the Saxophone, i timidly said it was and he thanked me for playing

Any live musical instrument will be far more easily heard through walls than playback of recorded music (in my experience).
And the Saxophone is, as many have said already, rather loud.
When I started (tenor), I lived in an appartment on the second floor. On the ground floor there was a pharmacy and on the first floor a family with small children. After a few months I heard that the people in the pharmacy thought that one of the children on the first floor had taken up the sax. That was in the winter, so no windows or doors were open, just went through 2 thick floors/ceilings or through the walls.....
If you would we thinking about soundproofing a room for practice, certainly start by covering all crack's and such (maby not airtight, but make sure the sound has a hard time getting through). Insulating for sound should be done with heavy and rather thick pannels (think densely compressed wooly material). Making sure the sound doesn't get throug the wall is a different challenge than reducing the reverberation within the room.

"We have registred a mis-sound comming from some sort of wind instrument. If you do not stop we will be pressed to take further actions. Sincierly your neighbours"
- My first fan letter

Securing a place to practise should be first priority over getting an instrument

"We have registred a mis-sound comming from some sort of wind instrument. If you do not stop we will be pressed to take further actions. Sincierly your neighbours"
- My first fan letter

Securing a place to practise should be first priority over getting an instrument

Is that for real Caz?

- My first fan letter
If they are worried about a mis-sound, presumably their first action will either be to find you a teacher, or themselves a spelling teacher?! :D

You folks do feet over there? I thought everyone was on the metric system over yonder.

Most of us are polymensurate.

We are supposed to be metric but not quite. We still measure road distances in miles and beer in pints but most stuff is in metres and litres. The former landlady of my local pub giggled at the word "inches" because she thought they were only used for measuring penises.

former landlady of my local pub giggled at the word "inches" because she thought they were only used for measuring penises
Too many jokes...... too many jokes.......
Aaaaaaagghhhh... help me!!!

Too many jokes...... too many jokes.......
Aaaaaaagghhhh... help me!!!
I'm not helping you, it will only get deleted, it can't be ... ....
I can't even complete that without taking a chance.