support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones How loud is the saxophone?

You folks do feet over there? I thought everyone was on the metric system over yonder.
Technically, we are on the metric system but if you grew up (were schooled) with the imperial system it's the one you carry around in your head.

You folks do feet over there? I thought everyone was on the metric system over yonder.

We confusingly use both in the UK.

For example, we buy litres of fuel but have miles per hour speed limits.

In plumbing, we have copper pipe measured in millimetres, plastic waste pipe in inches and millimetres, soil pipe in millimetres and sink, bath and basin wastes in inches.

A beginning sax player blowing into a wardrobe will quit the first day because the tone is dead. Just play where it sounds best; bathroom, kitchen, where there is no carpeting. Good acoustics boosts the morale. Use the weakest reeds and soak them well; you won't have to blow as hard. In the end, lock your door and enjoy your horn; ignore those who won't go along with a beginner. I would, however, avoid playing during prime-time. Neighbors do have some rights, but not many when it comes to saxophones. Let's face it, people who don't appreciate saxophones are stupid and should possibly be eliminated, like Isis. Should we take a poll? Play on.

Technically, we are on the metric system but if you grew up (were schooled) with the imperial system it's the one you carry around in your head.
Some of us have adapted. But I've lived in metric countries for more than 30 years. I'm bilingual, but I prefer metric. So much easier.

In plumbing, we have copper pipe measured in millimetres, plastic waste pipe in inches and millimetres, soil pipe in millimetres and sink, bath and basin wastes in inches.
And imperial threads. I was amazed to find that metric Germany uses BSP on it's metric water pipes.

@bensax don't be put off. I'm sure your neighbours have all done their fair share of banging and drilling. I know mine have! On one side is a couple who are constantly whacking with hammers and drills and on the other is an old man who has a room full of karaoke and dj equipment. Well that's what it sounds like anyway when he's listening to rock n' roll from 7am
I've almost paralysed myself with fear however *trying* not to bother anyone whilst I'm practicing at home and this has seriously marred both my enjoyment of my beloved sax and also my practice times. I'm a considerate person to the extreme that it's actually detrimental to my own happiness and well being! :(
Some parts of practice involve a lot of repetition not only of the scales but also the songs you learn if you are having lessons.
I echo the Prof. Buy your sax, do what you can to limit the noise with doors and windows shut and enjoy it. Playing into a wardrobe? No.
Hi
I totally understand where your coming from , regarding the neighbours .
I too have mentally and physically been affected by worrying about other people.

Hi
I totally understand where your coming from , regarding the neighbours .
I too have mentally and physically been affected by worrying about other people.
Two years and two months later and I have improved, so I allow myself to play louder now. It’s too inhibiting on your development to try and keep quiet when you first start :)

pick your neighbours carefully (mine plays the sax!)
and start on something bigger so that the saxophone seems like a win for them (I also play the tuba!)

My neighbours complain because I'm too quiet. :sax:You can't win sometimes.

Next door is the lady D who owns the house and her daughter and granddaughter S who play the violin, got her grade 8 in early teens but I've never heard her play a tune always 'etudes' I think they all called most unmusical.
Anyway I was asking D did my playing disturb her and she said ' Oh no I'd far rather listen to you than that horrible scratchy noise S makes all day'.

Two years and two months later and I have improved, so I allow myself to play louder now. It’s too inhibiting on your development to try and keep quiet when you first start :)
I think you started a month before me , it was July 2015 .
I am my own worst enemy , I seam to play better when I attack it with , the not caring approach .

Be a good neighbour and buy them some of these. It's cheaper than soundproofing...

I think you started a month before me , it was July 2015 .
I am my own worst enemy , I seam to play better when I attack it with , the not caring approach .
Yes, I joined the Café in August ‘15 but I bought my sax in June, I think... I should know the date but my brain is tired and fuzzy today!
Yes, I agree. I play better when I’m not looking at dots; when I’ve memorised the tune at last and don’t need to hesitate over notes :)

Last edited:
One of my neighbours comes out of his House at 6:45 every morning (even weekends) and talks at a volume more suited to a nightclub in full flow. My other neighbour plays 'shoot-em-up' games through a sub woofer that makes the walls shake. :mad:

I have no concerns playing my Sax or my Piano, or generally making noise when I wish :)

I live in a block of flats, I can’t play till at least 1.30pm and don’t play beyond 5pm ish, I have had a letter from the council saying the neighbours are complaining about it lol, they have also recently complained about our motorbikes being noisy, I would just get on with it and then try to accommodate those who have a problem within reason

One of my neighbours comes out of his House at 6:45 every morning (even weekends) and talks at a volume more suited to a nightclub in full flow. My other neighbour plays 'shoot-em-up' games through a sub woofer that makes the walls shake. :mad:

I have no concerns playing my Sax or my Piano, or generally making noise when I wish :)
Good for you mate