• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners how long do you all practice?

I don't get time to practice when I've got work on. I am employed through an agency at the moment as full time jobs in the driving/transport/haulage industry are really hard to find. When I get the call to work I tend to start early, anywhere between 3am and 6am. Because work isn't regular I try to get as many hours in in one shift as I possibly can and some days I'll work up to fifteen hours. By the time I get home I've got about enough time to eat and then go to bed, especially if I'm working the following day.
When I don't have any work on, I'll go busking. These are days that I love, I get to play my sax and not worry about the idiots on the road. I spend between four to six hours out busking depending on how the general public reacts to my performance. This is also the time that I try out new tunes as well. I have a system, as I don't read music, I have a virtual keyboard on my lap top. What I do is to find backing tracks on YouTube, put it on play and then use the keyboard to see if I will be able to play it on the sax. When I play a new tune live for the first time, I tend to turn the volume right down on my amp, and have a quick run through. If it sounds ok then I'll turn up the volume and hope for the best. I've been caught out several times with key changes that I didn't know were coming up! :rofl: Jam sessions are also a great way for me to practice. I love it😉
 
I play every day, even if I have to force myself to do it, and sometimes it's just 15 minutes noodling on the soprano.
I don't do a set format, maybe a few scales and arpeggios round the cycle of fourths, a few tunes, and a bit of impro. Usually about an hour.
Band nights are 2 hours on Tuesdays during school terms, and 2 hours Friday, and a gig once a month.
 
Practice?

Vaguely remember doing that.

Years ago I used to do 3 or 4 hours a day.

Not now.

ROFL Yah I remember those days too. I find it necessary to do an hour a day but I like to break it up into shorter really focussed sessions. I can miss for several days but after that need to focus again.

I dont count gig time or rehearsal time in this calculation.
 
My goals are to have fun playing and sometimes to play for family. I practice 45 minutes to 75 minutes, depending on what's going on elsewhere. I find 2 or 3 shorter sessions more productive than one long session. After 20 or 25 minutes I start to make more mistakes. I go away for a while, come back, and am not making those mistakes (at least for another 25 minutes!). I tend to follow the same routine: long tones, scales and arpeggios, tunes and improv.
 
I practice 3 to 4 hours a day, 6 days a week. Occasionally, when I have extra time, I will practice up to 6 hours. I spend a lot of time on long tones and overtones. I work on scales and arpeggios in all keys. I learn new songs and do a lot of improvisation with backing tracks. I practice alto, soprano and tenor.
 
My goals are to have fun playing and sometimes to play for family. I practice 45 minutes to 75 minutes, depending on what's going on elsewhere. I find 2 or 3 shorter sessions more productive than one long session. After 20 or 25 minutes I start to make more mistakes. I go away for a while, come back, and am not making those mistakes (at least for another 25 minutes!). I tend to follow the same routine: long tones, scales and arpeggios, tunes and improv.

this exactly, the quality of the practise is more important than the quantity. That is why I differentiate between practise, which is when I'm learning something new, and playing, which is when I run through stuff I already know (and is mostly for fun). I play a lot more than I practise, simply as I can't maintain concentration for more than about 1/2 hour before mistakes creep in.
 
I try and stick to a minimum of an hour a day but in reality I tend to do between 45 and 90 mins, every day. It’s tough to fit in some days with work and newborn but if times lacking I try and do 15 mins long tones and a few exercises from taming the saxophone, this tends to remove the guilt of not practising properly :rofl:
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,947
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom