support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones How difficult is it to go from ALTO to SOPRANO ?

Play?!?!?! :confused:

I thought all I had to do was sit, watch and enjoy the pretty shiny curvy tubes with all these fancy keys and stuff! :p

Well it's probably a lot easier to sit and look at. And it is a nice thing to look at. And polish, occasionally.

A few weeks ago, my wife asked me why I own more than one alto. "Can you play more than one at a time?", she asked. To which I responded, "Not yet".

Play?!?!?! :confused:

I thought all I had to do was sit, watch and enjoy the pretty shiny curvy tubes with all these fancy keys and stuff! :p

I have found that practicing and playing the saxophone takes up valuable time that could otherwise have been used to research mouthpieces on the Internet.

A native of Poland married a native of France and produced a very talented offspring. He was of course a very successful French polisher.

I acquired a soprano to complete the set. Mouthpiece and mouthpiece position are ultra critical on sop. 0.5mm can make all the difference intonation wise.

Last Friday I tried the soprano saxophone for the first time and fell in love with it. I’m now the proud owner of a Yamaha YAS 475 soprano saxophone.

It came with a Warburton and a Selmer mouthpiece. The saxophone itself is in excellent condition as is the case. Here are some pictures.

While I really like my alto I think I prefer this one. Either way it has lifted my spirits immensely , thanks Jeanette.

My old saxophone no longer smells either. That’s been taken care of so I’d like to thank you kindly for all your help. I’ve learned a lot so far and am tickled pink with my decisions so far. This horn sounds beautiful.

Attachments

• 0DA7C5C0-EA70-435A-8690-B25C6CB2A264.jpeg
    0DA7C5C0-EA70-435A-8690-B25C6CB2A264.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 4A1D1FCE-B67A-49BF-90E6-3D35808A1056.jpeg
    4A1D1FCE-B67A-49BF-90E6-3D35808A1056.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 071A6213-8C54-4C0C-BD8C-85351788C5CA.jpeg
    071A6213-8C54-4C0C-BD8C-85351788C5CA.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 9B6230A1-BF3A-4A32-A311-B528760DF0D6.jpeg
    9B6230A1-BF3A-4A32-A311-B528760DF0D6.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 127
Last Friday I tried the soprano saxophone for the first time and fell in love with it. I’m now the proud owner of a Yamaha YAS 475 soprano saxophone.

It came with a Warburton and a Selmer mouthpiece. The saxophone itself is in excellent condition as is the case. Here are some pictures.

While I really like my alto I think I prefer this one. Either way it has lifted my spirits immensely , thanks Jeanette.

My old saxophone no longer smells either. That’s been taken care of so I’d like to thank you kindly for all your help. I’ve learned a lot so far and am tickled pink with my decisions so far. This horn sounds beautiful.
Congrats on your new acquisition. I have a YSS-475 ii and I really like it. Have fun with it!

Congrats on your new acquisition. I have a YSS-475 ii and I really like it. Have fun with it!
Thanks GCinCT. That’s what mine is. A YSS 475 and I think it’s a ii. What a fine instrument. It’s lighter and smaller. The key position is much nicer than the 280 I tried and I’ve always wanted to play the soprano.
I get in some practice at least once a day.
Luckily I live in a rural area. :D

That's great news. I also have a YSS-475 as my prime soprano. It's a good battle axe, like most Yamahas.

Good to hear you found a way to resolve the smell issue on your SML.

Now you have two reasons to join the crowd in BOTM or SOTM!

Don't you fancy playing Jingle Bells these days?

That's great news. I also have a YSS-475 as my prime soprano. It's a good battle axe, like most Yamahas.

Good to hear you found a way to resolve the smell issue on your SML.

Now you have two reasons to join the crowd in BOTM or SOTM!

Don't you fancy playing Jingle Bells these days?
Thank you. I haven’t been playing jingle bells but I have learned ‘oh holy night ‘ and ‘silent night’ by ear. Closer to Christmas I will try and record something , which I’ve never done and upload it, which I’ve never done:rofl: but it’s about time I learned.

I will have to try the jingle bells.

Yamaha 475 series sopranos are crackin' little horns and used by pro horn players as well including LA studio sax man Jeff Driskill - here's Jeff playing his at approx. 7 mins 30 seconds...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfnNuzTz8zM

Happy sopranoing...

Greg S.

Thank you. I haven’t been playing jingle bells but I have learned ‘oh holy night ‘ and ‘silent night’ by ear. Closer to Christmas I will try and record something , which I’ve never done and upload it, which I’ve never done:rofl: but it’s about time I learned.

I will have to try the jingle bells.
Most of the time when I play, the neighbours can be heard exclaiming 'oh, holy crap'!

While I get along well with the neighbours, I couldn’t give a **** what they think. What I do in the comfort of ‘MY’ own home, is none of their business. If they don’t like it, they can MOVE!:sax::happydance:

Back
Top Bottom