support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hi

Adrian63

Hi all. I am a total luddite, new to all of this. Thirty years playin tenor now. Still pretty c***. Texas tenor, R&B is my thing. I would like to say i have other interests; frankly i dont. Dig a well played " Dobro ", play congas. Played bari for a long time, alongside tenor. My " Zephyr " was destroyed years back. So; thank you for having me. Bud.

Hi. Such a warm welcome; Thankyou. I am pushing fifty, my memory a little vague. Let me tell you a little. I have dug ditches and served the odd beer. Other than that, i have managed to make a humble and happy life from music. At fourteen, i began as a jazz drummer; studying under a tremendous and highly respected player.At his place, i first heard a tenor sax up close. By sixteen, i was playing both. By eighteen the drums had gone. Early twenties i played a VI tenor, and Adolphe bari. Spike Robinson came to town. I was lucky enough to spend an afternoon in his company. Beautiful guy. He blew that big ole silver Conn for me. My affair with big bore tenors began. I played a 10m, alongside a Zephyr bari for a long long time. Over the last ten years or so, my tone development has taken priority. The 10m could really take no more. It lived in my techs place. I had to have a working horn. I have played Phil Barone mpcs. for a long time. My introduction to them is a story in itself. Another time. My first choice of new horn was R&C R1 tenor. I did not have the cash. I had no idea Phil was doing horns. I do not do computers ( android phone). Cut to the chase, i bought a "PB " vintage tenor. I love it. Vintage horns are still a passion; more an expensive hobby. Frankly the only one i want is a Superba I tenor in silver. There is a gold one on e bay today. That will have to wait. I need to replace my bari. I am going with "PB" again. In time. So thanks for the welcome. I will talk influences, theory and such in time. Now; the shed.

Hi its me; the central scrutinizer. So. Tuition. I had a theory teacher, later a player/teacher. The theory guy, man he knew his stuff. He taught by a " construction method ". T/ST;Intervals; constuction. It was intense. It worked. Opinions differ on how much theory, if any, one should know. Me, hexatonics, Lydian chromatic concept. That was my line, that is i know up to that point. The other guy; an East London R&R dynamo. No interest in jazz at all; None. A steady flow of Sam Butera, Al Sears, Lee Allen, was my playing education. I had it great both ways. My taste is total R&B. King Curtis, Red Prysock and on. Lenny Pickett is my " now" tenorman. Nobody plays better than Lenny. Tower of Power. All day, and the next. Later.

Thanks Paul. Nice to meet you. I am shattered,but will put this in the can. Check out Lenny playing his ballad " Kathy " on you tube. Today has been a fairly typical day. Added bonus of this forum. Very new but cool. I have my own house, unmarried, no kids. I tend to blow 10.00am to 6.00pm every day. Today, intonation. Maj7 intervals up and down. To my ear it gives a precise indication. I am hoping to record next year under my own name; hence this year is about tone and more tone. I do not understand " I dont like playing long tones ". A combination of correct breathing, relaxed posture, i find zen like. The essence of tenor is in that " oneness "; me and the vibration of that reed. Enough. Thankyou.

Back
Top Bottom