support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hi, I am Roger & need help with turning the notes from sheet music into notes for my Alto Sax

Hi Roger welcome.. I started on the Mark Archer book it is great to get you playing and has some great pieces in.. I couldn't agree more with folks on here reading the basics of music gives you more than just notation. As an old newbie I wanted to see improvement and Marks book is great for that.. but if you can read the notes of the music sheet yourself you can play anything to a backing track for the time being... I always felt with my old eyes and brain that I couldnt read music fast enough to play it to the tempo so still write the notes on the proper sheet music scan it and download a backing track and bobs your uncle..doing this is great practice as music reading too..

Welcome!! Don't worry about your age at all. There are so many here that have started at that age or older. I'm 65 and other than my high school years, have been trying to figure this thing out for two years. It's a blast!
You'll need to associate the notes with their names at some point, and early on is the best time. I would concentrate on the fingering chart, too. Maybe as you are just beginning, keep to the notes on the staff from D to G without the sharps and flats except for F# and C#. Think of each notes name as you play them one at a time. All of those notes can be played by using just the six "main" keys, three at the top and three at the bottom. You can master the other sharps and flats that use all of the other mystery keys as you progress.
Keep us posted!

And luckily for me and you, @Roger , there are plenty of patient teachers here… You’re going to have to resign yourself to the fact that it takes several lifetimes to learn everything you can about the sax, and relax into it ;)
Hi
Thanks to everyone who replied, I have ordered the book Jeanette advised so will start there, does anyone know of a teacher in the Herefordshire area prefer near to Leominster if possible, there is Rhiannon in Leominster but at the present she is not offering lessons, thanks again everyone

Hi

As another golden oldie (62) who started on this journey at the age of 60, with no prior musical knowledge or experience, I can strongly recommend the best two Saxophone books (IMHO) that helped me

1.The Complete Saxophone Player by Wise Publications, it takes you from assembling,through fingering, up to playing solo on a few decent tunes.

2. Saxophone Sight Reading by Schott Publications, the exercises start really basic, but through repetition and practise (not to mention annoying the neighbours cat), you should find your music reading skills will come on in leaps and bounds.

Also, once the world returns to normal (new or otherwise) may I suggest you find a local community band that welcomes beginners, as there is (IMHO) no substitute for playing alongside others, hopefully your smile will be two miles wide like mine !!!

Best of luck

2. Saxophone Sight Reading by Schott Publications, the exercises start really basic, but through repetition and practise (not to mention annoying the neighbours cat), you should find your music reading skills will come on in leaps and bounds.
I can second this recommendation. I've been working through this book for several months. I'm nearly finished and I have Volume 2 ready to go. My sight reading has improved significantly.

Hi
Thanks to everyone who replied, I have ordered the book Jeanette advised so will start there, does anyone know of a teacher in the Herefordshire area prefer near to Leominster if possible, there is Rhiannon in Leominster but at the present she is not offering lessons, thanks again everyone
Have you tried the UK music teachers web site? Local music shops if you have one often have lists of teachers in their area.

Thanks, will have a look on UK Teachers site, this is a big ask I know, but is there anyone here which could convert some sheet music to notes for me, I am willing to pay for this service, it's just while I learn how to read music, it would help me to try & play a tune right through & practice this tune so I can get it somewhere decent. it would mean re righting the verses into the type of notes where any with Octave on would be circled, apologies if I am asking to much but it's frustrating looking at music until i can learn to read it, thanks in anticipation

You know, it would be a good exercise for learning if you put in the note names yourself. You could use a method book or fingering chart as a reference and write the letters in.

I'll do it for £50 a sheet. Any other bids ;)

EDIT: I've just seen that the OP has offered to pay for the service. I hadn't read this before and the above was not a serious bidding for work!

Last edited:
Thanks, will have a look on UK Teachers site, this is a big ask I know, but is there anyone here which could convert some sheet music to notes for me, I am willing to pay for this service, it's just while I learn how to read music, it would help me to try & play a tune right through & practice this tune so I can get it somewhere decent. it would mean re righting the verses into the type of notes where any with Octave on would be circled, apologies if I am asking to much but it's frustrating looking at music until i can learn to read it, thanks in anticipation

I'm still not entirely sure what format you want the notes in.
Do you just want the pitches written out?

So do you mean something like this?
C C D' A B C
(where D' means D with octave key)

If you let me know the names of a couple of simple tunes, then I would be happy to write the note names above the stave for you and send you a scanned copy.

The sooner you start...
Writing out the notes is good practice. You'll be amazed how quickly it comes.
We take for granted using a 26 letter system. Music has 7.
Don't fall into the habit of old dog and new tricks. We ain't dogs and it's no trick.
Think of it as brain training. Brain training keeps the brain active and young. And...learning to read the dots is cheaper than a multi vitamin. ;)

What Colin said.
It's just a substitution code, and a pretty simple one at that. Especially when you have the key, as referenced by Halfers above, and as is very often laid out in teaching books.
You seem to have convinced yourself it's beyond you ... it almost certainly isn't.

Remember the mnemonics..........Every Good Boy Deserves Food.............the notes on the lines,
F.A.C.E...................the notes in the spaces.

Worry about sharps, flats, time intervals etc later, print out a music score then write the corresponding note under it, we've all got to start somewhere........................

PS: It's like when you first learnt to read words, and if you're at the "the cat sat on the mat" stage, then I'm at the "Janet & John" stage (only people in their 60's who suffered a UK education will understand that) lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom