PPT mouthpieces

Hi from New Zealand

drrob7

Hi all

I starting learning the alto sax about 15 years ago when I was 30 (late bloomer) but after 2 years life got in the way and I stopped. I've started lessons again and am really loving it.

I have a cheap asian alto (Riviera brand) with a Selmer C*80 mouthpiece and Rico H-Link Ligature. Would love to upgrade my alto at some stage - I welcome any suggestions on what to get next. I'm still learning and probably will never give up my day job but eventually I'd like a better horn.

Anyway, cheers
Rob

Hi all

Would love to upgrade my alto at some stage - I welcome any suggestions on what to get next.
Anyway, cheers
Rob

Welcome to the cafe and welcome back to the sax, I knew you'd find your way back to it some day! As for suggestions, get a tenor or a baritone or a soprano, or a bass no wait a contra bass no I mean a sopranino no um er ...oh what the hell get a subcontrabass and be done with it!

Welcome to the cafe, Rob.

I don't have an alto, and I can't offer any suggestions. But I know that there is no shortage of good altos, and others will be happy to give their views.

Hi Rob

Welcome to the cafe,I'm afraid you don't seem to know what the meaning of late bloomer is,most of us on here didn't start till our sixties

As for the sax the most important thing to do is avoid GAS decide what you want, and buy it and only it. But a good recommend is always a yamaha 62 depending on funding of course it's a classic

Hi Rob!

Welcome to Cafe Saxophone from Skabertawe. I had a brief look on eBay NZ - clearly several saxes that are not available in UK. It all depends on what you want to spend on an Alto sax - Yamaha YAS62 and Yanagisawa A901 are both good. at higher cost Selmer Ref54, Borgani, Rampone and Cazzani are all excellent, and there may be a Mauriat that someone on the forum could recommend. In UK we are keen on Bauhaus Walstein saxes made in Taiwan (pro quality at student prices). Have a look at www.shwoodwind.co.uk for several alto sax reviews from someone associated with Cafe Sax.

The Alto is my favourite sax - like Martin Speake & Gilad Atzmon particularly in terms of contemporary jazz, and several others.
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Back
Top Bottom