support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hi from Cyprus

Cyprimole

Hi All

Just found the site, been having a good read.

Im 62 years and an ex-pat retired to Cyprus 7 years, and have just (6 weeks ago!) started to learn Alto Sax. Have found a great teacher here in Cyprus, and am really enjoying it. Trying to fullfil a long time ambition!

Currently playing one of the teachers Altos, but am buying one very soon, thinking of Trevor James Horn Revolution II or JP045

Im sure I will have loads of questions!

Cheers

Baz

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to the caff. Always good to see another mature sax player. Before you invest all that retirement money, check out the other parts of the site as there's lots of good advice about what instrument to buy and then much angst and gnashing of teeth about mouthpieces (mpc) and reeds. FWIW, I suggest a 1.5 reed and a Yamaha 5c mpc to start. There are lots of Bauhaus Walstein fans here, I'm one and 20+ pages enthusing about them. If you want to research some horns then you should also read http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/.

Playing the horn in Cypress with the wonderful Keo brewery on tap. Could life get better. Also see my article 'One way of getting started'. There may be something of use in there. Enjoy.

Hi
Welcome to the cafe.
I play trevor James Sig alto (gorgeous)
Many fansof many other saxes here so take your time, try as many as you can and feel the sax for you, not just a name and number.
All the best
Ben

Hi, Baz, and welcome to the Cafe!

Lots of good cheer here, and lots of dodgy advice. Current faves for below £1000 are the JP and the Bow wow wall stain(for £399 from Sax Heaven, Oxford)!:w00t: Also could add a Howarth Chiltern to that list. No experience of Trevor Jones
at all.

My hairdresser for many years was a Cypriot (she still is, I would imagine - just tried to avoid any political discussion as it got her going a bit >:):w00t:!
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Anytime you are near Skabertawe do come for a coffee!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Baz

Lucky you I really envy you, what a great place to retire to! We are approaching that time of life and dreaming of going to the south of france may just turn out to be a dream but you never know.And now you've found the saxophone your in heaven and don't know it yet.You will love the journey it's great fun and so rewarding just take your time and enjoy the ride.There are so many good saxes out there these days at reasonable prices and you'll get some good advice from the forum members.bye for now and enjoy the cafe ...john:)

Hi All
Wow! what a good welcome.

Thanks for all the advice coming thru.

Tommapfuno, your right to keep off the "Cyprus Issue" we do here as it can be sensitive! Thanks for the invite for coffee, you never know, we have a freind out here who hails from Cardiff so if we ever visit him when he is back in the UK.......

My problem is out here, there are music shops but it is mainly guitars, pianos and violins, not a lot of Sax stuff, and what there is , is twice the price!. I was very lucky to find a Sax teacher, his father is the head of Paphos Town band, and my teacher (the Son) conducts it, also teaches at a couple of schools, and has his own music studio.

So it looks like I will have to buy online mail order, I may be coming back to London for a week soon, so hope to be able to visit a couple of shops, probally Sax.co.uk for one, and try a few out.

Keep reading reviews and personal favourites, im now getting confused and not knowing which way to jump!

Still thanks again for the welcome.

Cheers

Baz

Hi Baz, welcome to the cafe, although I bet your sat on a veranda, sipping something cool, and enjoying the view! I hope you enjoy whichever sax you finally choose.

Back
Top Bottom