support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Help with a broken spring please

Taz

Busking Oracle
I have managed to break a spring this evening at my local jam session, (here's how much I know about saxes) its the second lowest key on my tenor, I would presume that for a tech its a simple enough job as the rod its attached to is easily accessible with nothing in its way, what I need to know is, does anyone know of any tech's in the Midlands/ Rugby/ Warwickshire /Leicestershire/ Northampton area, how long would this sort of repair take, (I've got a gig on Friday) and just for my benefit, what note is it. :confused:

Taz

I usually use Paul Egan, but he normally collects from St Giles music in Northampton on Wednesdays and returns the following wednesday, so thats not much good I'm afraid.

You are welcome to borrow my old Pennsylvania tenor, which was recently serviced by Paul for Friday if your in need, PM me.

The key I think to which you refer must be either the low B or C# I guess.

Taz

Second lowest tone is B or H if you are influenced by the germans. It's run by left hand pinkey. Second lowest key is the the Eb key (above the low C key) and it's run by right hand pinkey.

If you were a little bit closer we would be more than happy to welcome you to NPSA (Non Profit Saxophone Alliance);}. We help each other without charging. I have a unused Amati ATS 31 to high F#. Good sax for less money and it has a differnt sound comparing to modern saxes. To fix a new spring is not a big problem.

Simon

The Pensylvania saxes are nice. I have an old baritone prewar with split bell keys. Made in CZ by V Kohlert und Söhne. Is your tenor also is a Czech?

Thomas

Taz,

if you cant get the srping replaced you can make a temporary repair using ane elastic band - just pop outside your house and you'll probably find a nice red one by your doorstep or on the pavement left behind by your nice postman!:mad:

that should do the trick until you can get your sax sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taz,

if you cant get the srping replaced you can make a temporary repair using ane elastic band - just pop outside your house and you'll probably find a nice red one by your doorstep or on the pavement left behind by your nice postman!:mad:

And there is me thinking it was just a local problem of unwanted bands....

does anyone know of any tech's in the Midlands/ Rugby/ Warwickshire /Leicestershire/ Northampton area, how long would this sort of repair take, (I've got a gig on Friday) and just for my benefit, what note is it. :confused:
Maybe a little too far but there is a place in Hitchin that has an onsite tech
http://www.instrumentrepairs.co.uk/

I have used him and he was quick and reasonable.

Taz,

Ha Ha, did you have a peek inside my case before you posted that Griff? Thats how I managed to carry on at the jam, I used a red ex-post office lacky band! Thanks to all of you for your help, especialy to the offers of loan saxes... you know who you are;}

Has it really broken? Might be worth checking it hasn't just popped off the little locater lug. That often happens. Also the spring can work part of the way out of the post and may need pushing back.
If you do use a rubber band, don't leave it on long as it can eat through plating or lacquer.

Back
Top Bottom