All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Broken spring inside post on my c-sop ... Thank you Mr. PigSquealer

LostCircuits

This thing was literally immobile and would not budge but @PigSquealer told me about the roof nail and hex nut. Because of the size, I still had to get creative but it all worked out. Needless to say, the modus operandi was like a hedgehog making love ...

1.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_20210405_130924943.jpg

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Sometimes you need to do what you’ve got to do. Some of my inventions may be a tad crude. I always try to think what the DIY has on hand. Getting creative from that aspect I leave the aesthetics to the side. Sometimes good-n- nuff is all ya need !

Here is the prototype Idea I sent @ Lostcircuits
E53C3088-0B70-45D5-9716-E0D0714925A3.jpeg

B104B751-65D4-454A-A39D-F2780D159BC8.jpeg
80F858D4-A81E-40F8-8551-8EC7FFE8F0DD.jpeg
642360A1-4C02-42A5-8097-A641B0F3C3E2.jpeg

Stephen Howard

Nice get-you-out-of-trouble mod. I don't know that it's worth going to all the trouble of fiddling about with a nut though - you'll find that a piece of wood will do just as well, and won't risk marking anything. An old lolly stick is ideal. Doesn't even need a hole in it, the spring will just push into the wood.

LostCircuits

Nice get-you-out-of-trouble mod. I don't know that it's worth going to all the trouble of fiddling about with a nut though - you'll find that a piece of wood will do just as well, and won't risk marking anything. An old lolly stick is ideal. Doesn't even need a hole in it, the spring will just push into the wood.
I used a bamboo towel first and you are right, a lollypop stick would have worked but hot glue for the hexnut is cheap and easy. Another thing that works really well is medical mesh tape, I had some left over from my surgery and used it on another pair of needle nose pliers. It's about 1 mm thick and "spongy" and once it is on the pliers, you have to burn it off if you want to remove it.

Stephen Howard

I used a bamboo towel first and you are right, a lollypop stick would have worked but hot glue for the hexnut is cheap and easy. Another thing that works really well is medical mesh tape, I had some left over from my surgery and used it on another pair of needle nose pliers. It's about 1 mm thick and "spongy" and once it is on the pliers, you have to burn it off if you want to remove it.
Ooh, that's interesting. I use tape on a pair of parallel pliers (for key bending) - but it has to be replaced with almost every job...and even gluing card on doesn't seem to hold up. That tape sounds like it might be just the thing.

LostCircuits

IMG_20210406_091848519.jpg

Ooh, that's interesting. I use tape on a pair of parallel pliers (for key bending) - but it has to be replaced with almost every job...and even gluing card on doesn't seem to hold up. That tape sounds like it might be just the thing.
This is what it looks like after 2 years in my garage. Now that I checked, it appears as if the glue is slightly hygroscopic causing some minor rust, which then caused one side of the tape to come off. But, its been about a year that it stuck and that's something I can live with.

PigSquealer

Café Supporter
Had this been a live repair on my end with this application. A little more time making an exact fit would have been necessary. Especially not damaging the post. I was merely forwarding the idea/concept. Would have been just as easy to glue a popsicle stick on. My biggest concern was holding the contraption steady. A little slip with the punch side could’ve got ugly. I came up with the idea in all of five minutes. Tool shortages suck.

PigSquealer

Café Supporter
Music medic do a pair of spring removal pliers. I've used them only once but worth every penny.
Just checked their site.
Music medic Spring removal pliers $30.
View: https://youtu.be/VuncAKYXMBI
Absolutely a decent pair of pliers. The problem is ordering them Saturday evening when you want to play. Broken spring delight. I don’t recommend a rubber band on silver.
For the additional $20 the parallel set is the way to go. That style they are out of stock.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom