support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Help required choosing step up sax

elcheeposax

Hello Peeps,
I am a comparative newbie, have been playing clarinet for some years now along with alto, have now got into the tenor. I have been playing a Boosey Amati for the last 9 months but have decided it's time to change for something a bit more becoming probably in the intermediate range. Tried out on some vintage jobbies but don't think them a wise choice, considering an Armstrong, obviously the Yammies are a good bet but the yts62 is outside my budget. With so many makes out there it is a somewhat daunting decision. I only gig for the old folks so no need for overkill. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

I've been playing with an Amati for some years now and I love it. Have you consider having it overhauled? I had the opportunity, not long ago, to buy a new tenor, and I couldn't find one that really floated my boat. So for the near future, at least, I'll be sticking with my little Czech tank!

Yamaha 23 generally thought of as a good affordable option - needs to be well set up though - I borrowed a leaky beat up one and found it worse than the Corton Amati that I was replacing,(the Corton was actually great when working properly). Good YTS 23s are very good though and seem to go for between £500-600

At the risk of upsetting a few posters here (sorry guys!), practically anything will be a step up from the Amati.
The Yamaha 23 would be an excellent choice - good build quality, simple and reliable design, bags of free-blowing clarity. Don't be fooled by its humble status - I prefer my 23 over the rather more expensive 62. The 32 (or the 475) would be a good bridge between the two - and I wouldn't rule out a nice old 61, if you can find one. Depends on your budget.

I would also consider, as mentioned, the Bauhaus Walstein. I have a number of pro clients who have these as backup or second horns (I have one too - the basic brass model). You'd be hard put to find another horn at the same price that will give you as much. Highly recommended.

Regards,

I like the Corton Deluxe saxes. They were built by Yanigisawa in Japan. So it's a Yani stencil. Good intonation and modern design of the keys. A good allround sax. These saxes are often from the mid or late 70's. I recently sold a Corton Deluxe alto in very good condition for c £300.00. Add £ 100.00 for a tenor. The baris to low A is also very nice.

Thomas

I like the Corton Deluxe saxes. They were built by Yanigisawa in Japan. So it's a Yani stencil. Good intonation and modern design of the keys. A good allround sax. These saxes are often from the mid or late 70's. I recently sold a Corton Deluxe alto in very good condition for c £300.00. Add £ 100.00 for a tenor. The baris to low A is also very nice.

Thomas

Well there's something I never knew!
Don't think I've ever seen one - just the plain old Cortons (sometimes badged Lafleur too). They were sold complete with a spare set of (dreadful) pads and a set of replacement point screws.

Regards,

Here is some pictures of the Corton Deluxe alto (with permission). The five first pics are the Corton Deluxe alto. I think these saxes were sold as stencilsaxes her in Europe before Yanagisawa decided to sell under their own name. They were imported and distrubuted in Sweden by a well reputed company, so it's pretty comon her. I think "my" sax was a based on the Yangisawa tube that was introduced in 1965 (model 5). The keys, and I also think the high F#, are from a later date. "My" sax was from the late 70's.

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm201/thomsax/?start=0

Thomas

The Yamaha is a good horn - I had a YTS-275 Tenor but didn't like it as much as my YAS-275 Alto. Found out later the Octave was fault which caused me problems. However, the Bauhaus Walstein Soprano I have is a much better horn in my opinion, so would highly recommend you trying out one of several Tenor Sax's from that stable!

Another recommendation for the Bauhaus Walstein from me too having recently purchased a bronze tenor. Certainly worth considering IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx for the advice seems the Bauhaus Walstein comes recommended by a few people, have just checked out the price and they look pretty much affordable which is a bonus. Will put this No 1 on my shortlist.

Can't speak for the YAS 23 but my 275 is a great horn. Considering stepping up to a 61 but I just don't know how much extra it will give me - interesting what Stephen Howard says about the 23/62.

Here is some pictures of the Corton Deluxe alto (with permission). The five first pics are the Corton Deluxe alto. I think these saxes were sold as stencilsaxes her in Europe before Yanagisawa decided to sell under their own name. They were imported and distrubuted in Sweden by a well reputed company, so it's pretty comon her. I think "my" sax was a based on the Yangisawa tube that was introduced in 1965 (model 5). The keys, and I also think the high F#, are from a later date. "My" sax was from the late 70's.

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm201/thomsax/?start=0

Thomas

Thanks for that - very interesting!
Never seen one - but the Yani logo would be a dead giveaway.
I had client bring in a battered tenor...something called an Ambasador, or President...or something like that. Her teacher told her it was a pile of rubbish...but just above the bottom bow joint was that Yani symbol.

I wonder how widespread this information is (perhaps it's only me who didn't know!) - because it could mean a good few bargains from ebay if you're quick enough!

Regards,

There are various others as well - the Yanagisawa logo is always a giveaway and has been prominent on the ones I've seen. I bought a Yani A6 branded as 'Astro', without a neck and a bit battered, but for the princely sum of eighty quid. Oh, and that included delivery. A neck from Howarths sale a year ago and a few quid for some gentle fettling from Griff and I have a fantastic playing Yanagisawa alto for a smidge over two hundred quid. Bargain of the century.

Back
Top Bottom