support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hello

Griff

Hi all.
Would just like to introduce myself, I'm paul. I was bought a alto sax for my 50th , which was a huge surprise . Many years I had said I wonder how hard a sax would be to play... I have my answer, very hard !
I look forward to being part of this forum and getting to know some of you.
paul

Hi Paul!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe Sheltered Housing Sax Collective, down by yer in Wales, mind! So, you're over 50 and have an alto sax, which is hard to play. I find that reeds, ligatures and mouthpieces certainly help sound wise, and two excellent books for "Late Bloomers" are:

1. The Jazz Method for Alto Saxophone - by John O'Neill.
2. Creative Saxophone - a Fresh Approach for Beginners - Kelly Santin.

Both have CDs and are more suited to adults than some of the stuff available.
A teacher would be helpful too. www.musicteachers.co.uk is a really useful resource.
Anyway I hope that you enjoy the forum, and I look forward to any additional info you pass on - what sort of music you like
and are keen on learning to play and similar.

Kind regards
Tom

Thank you all for the warm welcome . I have been having lessons for just over a year now, learning to read music is proving really difficult for me. I am now comfortable with navigating the sax and play mostly by ear, so back to looking at those squiggles on paper and trying to make sense of them. If I could pick a style of music to play out of my vast knowledge of saxophone playing it would be blues music. I have been greedy in the year of playing as I own two saxophones , the first is a non branded sax, although cheap , kick started the habit. I know have a Jupiter , jaz 769-767 . I use a number 2 reed but teacher has said I might benefit from a 2.5 reed. I have a couple of mouth pieces , Yamaha 5c and one I really like to use is the yanagisawa . Not sure if your allowed or even can upload videos of yourself? but if you can and I'm feeling really brave I might , will look around the forum and familiarise my self with this site .
once again thank you all for the welcome , hope to make some new friends and pick their brains for tips.
paul

Back
Top Bottom