support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hello from the United States (Michigan)

rcharlier

Hello,

I am just picking up the saxophone again after about a 15 year absence. I started on alto, moved to bari, stayed there for a long time. Now that I'm back at it, I'm using a tenor.

I dug my tenor out of the closet after a long storage -- waiting to get it back from a complete overhaul.

Looking forward to learning a lot from the group of people on this forum!

Hi and welcome to the cafe. Great musicians from there Kenny Garret and Milt Jackson both Michiganders, just to name a few. You will have a great time here and good down to earth advice. Regds N.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the encouragement and warm welcome.

Excuses and confidence are really what made me stop playing.

Quite a while back I had traded away my working alto for a non-working tenor (a bad trade, I got burned, and learned).

It played, but not very well at all. When I was younger I never had the money to get it fixed (excuses). Plus, my (lack of) confidence told me that I wasn't good enough anyway, so I shouldn't bother.

I still opened that tenor once or twice a year. "Is it still broken?" I always received the same answer, it had never fixed itself.

This year I thought, "15 years away from it... if I start playing now, I'll be happy". I started practicing every day for a week, fighting through the troubles of the instrument (poor tunability, warbly low D).

Last week I couldn't fight it anymore, and I took it in for an overhaul. Because the shop/tech is busy, I have to wait 3-4 weeks? One week of waiting down.

Thanks for the encouragement and warm welcome.

Excuses and confidence are really what made me stop playing.

Quite a while back I had traded away my working alto for a non-working tenor (a bad trade, I got burned, and learned).

It played, but not very well at all. When I was younger I never had the money to get it fixed (excuses). Plus, my (lack of) confidence told me that I wasn't good enough anyway, so I shouldn't bother.

I still opened that tenor once or twice a year. "Is it still broken?" I always received the same answer, it had never fixed itself.

This year I thought, "15 years away from it... if I start playing now, I'll be happy". I started practicing every day for a week, fighting through the troubles of the instrument (poor tunability, warbly low D).

Last week I couldn't fight it anymore, and I took it in for an overhaul. Because the shop/tech is busy, I have to wait 3-4 weeks? One week of waiting down.

OK, I'll bite. Which model Buffet & Crampon is it?

Good decision! With a new(ish) sax there will be no more excuses (and money spent that requires justification!).

Welcome! You will fit in well with a lot of others who rationalize doing, or not doing, and have somehow made their way back to playing.

It has been a while, and I wanted to update. I've had my saxophone back from the shop for about 10 days. I can't put it down! It sounds great!

Putting the money and time (seven weeks, but who was counting?) in to letting a professional overhaul the instrument was absolutely the right answer.

Back
Top Bottom