support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hello from Suffolk

garybats

Locality
Brantham in Suffolk
Hello everyone, I've been a member for a while now but never posted before. Have been playing a tenor
for 3 years, in a music school jazz band & orchestra, more recently in The St Peters Band, previously
known as the intermediate band of The Ipswich Hospital Band.
I'm toying with the idea of getting hold of a cheapish soprano if I can.
Has anyone got any suggestions or preferences - Straight or Curved? anything to avoid?
Any advice welcome. Thanks

Hi Gary welcome, can't help much on the Sop front, i play a BW straight sop but only occasionally, normally stick to my tenor. What is your budget as i may be selling it? Rgds Phil

Hi Gary welcome to cafe from sunny Manchester

There is a recent post about sops some where on the forum maybe you can find it

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the caff, Gary.

ENJOY!

Hi Gary, welcome to the cafe :)

welcome

a big warm welcome gary from a sunny stratford east london
all the best
bernie

Joyous greetings from the Skabertawe Button Free Tenor Sax Collective!.
We all hope that you have a lovely time at Cafe Sax, and look forward to hearing about your sax life:w00t:;}

If "cheap" is below £500 go for a Bauhaus Walstein - both Straight and Curved are liked by folks on the Forum. If less you could see what is available used. John Packer have some decent stuff (at £327) but some "cheaper" sopranos are probably not really worth investing in.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

PS Just noticed a Virtuosi straight Soprano Sax on ebay (buy it now - £190) - They are a reputable firm, particularly well known in the Brass World as suppliers to Brass Bands etc. Might be worth a punt!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anything about sops, but welcome to the cafe, these guy's on here know plenty though, no doubt they'll be only too pleased to help you out!
Oh, and please don't forget to VOTE FOR TAZONSAX BY CLICKING HERE :w00t:

Welcome Gary. That sounds an ideal place to live - playing the sax in beautiful Constable country and near the great sailing waters of the Stour and Orwell!
Enjoy the caf.
YC

Hello Gary'
Welcome to the forum, good to see you posting
Plenty of experienced sop players around here.
Cheers
Jimu

Welcome, Gary, from a Suffolk-born sax fan, now in Sunny Spain :)

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes, I'm giving the whole thing some serious thought

Hi Gary, welcome aboard.

I've familiarised myself with Suffolk in the past couple of years or so, as my youngest moved to Ipswich and then, last year, to Nedging Tye, near Sudbury. I'm absolutely in love with the area and now trying to figure out viable ways of retiring there.

As for cheap sops, mine was just a little over £200 and I got it from Thomann. I spent two years getting a cheap sound out of a cheap instrument and then, when it really wouldn't play its Fs at all, took into my local music shop and had it regulated which, of course, had never been done seeing as how I got it direct from the factory with all its packing still in place. Now, though, it plays like a dream. I found Thomann a decent company to deal with, straightforward and with no problems.

As the good folks here pointed out at the time, a £200 cheapo isn't a £2000 Yanigasawa, but there's such a thing as good and bad £200 cheapos, and I reckon mine's one of the good ones.

Hi Gary,
Did we play in the Co-op jazz band together?
Im yanni- i played the alto and the clarinet.
Thanks
And I prefer a straight soprano- prefferred Trevor James.

Yes, thats me, I recieved a very pretty looking straight sop from those lovely people at E bay Towers yesterday. A guy from St Peters Band gave it a blow last night at band practice & seemed impressed with the sound. Now its all down to me!
The ex Co op jazz band is going from strength to strength, 6 tenors, 8 or so altos, 3 trombones, a new trumpeter, a great keyboard player & a soprano squeezing in amongst the old sweats.
There are photos & videos on waterfrontmusicschool.com

Back
Top Bottom