support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hello From SoCal

Sp8ctre

Locality
Long Beach, CA
Hello All,

I'm Chris and I live out in Long Beach, CA. I guess I'm what they call a late bloomer on the Sax. I'm 59 and just starting out.

I had a Sax back in the mid 90's but never really got anywhere with it. There was no internet at the time so not much in the
way of instruction.

I've already dove in and bought both an Alto and Tenor Sax. I sure hope I learn quickly!

Welcome to the Café.

I've already dove in and bought both an Alto and Tenor Sax. I sure hope I learn quickly!
Wow - that was quick. Two saxes already. Bari and soprano will no doubt follow soon. :)

Welcome! Yes, you're jumping in with both feet. If I were starting out with alto and tenor, I'd be unsure what to do: focus on one or jump back and forth. What do you do?

I plan to try them both out and see which one suits me. One may go into storage or get moved along? I guess I'll have to wait and see...

The Alto is in hand and the Tenor is in route. I have a 45 day return on the Alto, but the Tenor was used so it's mine unless I sell it.

Welcome to the café, don't move anything on too hastily, many have more than one sax and even play them all :)

Jx

Late Bloomer.... Nearly 18 months on now and I'm still blooming....(awful), but I love it.., have fun here and with your Sax

Welcome! Yes, you're jumping in with both feet. If I were starting out with alto and tenor, I'd be unsure what to do: focus on one or jump back and forth. What do you do?
Best to do is start with tenor and get lessons as it gives you something to aim for then after a few months play about with the alto

I've settled in nicely on a Yanagisawa AWO20. It's working out better for me than the Tenor for the time being. The Tenor I ended up with is a 1965 Beaugnier/Vito. It has been completely torn down and rebuilt. Very nice, but I seem to focus more on the Alto. It seems easier to play for me.

Ae you happy with the légère, Ivan?
Yes, for a number of reasons linked to the inconsistenciges of cane reeds

I use Signature which creates a tone I like. I tried Studio and sounded like a duck

Yes, for a number of reasons linked to the inconsistenciges of cane reeds

I use Signature which creates a tone I like. I tried Studio and sounded like a duck
:clapping: Ace!! I’m having some experimental time with some Vandoren Java Red, Jazz and if I can get a Green! Am eyeing up the signature, though - Bari player in my band days he’s not used a légère for about 5 years (was unimpressed). I think the technology has improved since then, though

Thanks, Ivan

@Sp8ctre , yeah, that was very polite of you- I was thinking something more along the lines of “Away with your irrelevant chitchat on someone else’s thread!”
You’ve managed to avoid the Too Many Saxes issue (for now;)) - keeping well away from the hell of trying every make of reed is a good thing too.

@Sp8ctre , yeah, that was very polite of you- I was thinking something more along the lines of “Away with your irrelevant chitchat on someone else’s thread!”
You’ve managed to avoid the Too Many Saxes issue (for now;)) - keeping well away from the hell of trying every make of reed is a good thing too.

I see reeds and mouthpieces as the rabbit hole here. Sax's are just too expensive to be collecting more than a few!

Back
Top Bottom