PPT mouthpieces

hello from istanbul

blue-note45

This is İlhan Babaoğlu. I play alto, tenor and soprano. I learned music all by myself but I'm frustrated 'cos I feel I always play only by ear and never have anything in my memory. In saxophone playing my goal was to play what ı was thinking. I accomplish this when ı'm in good mood but when in bad mood ı can miss some notes when improvising. I'm not academic, ı always played over what the radio played and know in memory the 12 major scales, the pentatonics and the blues scales, the rest is all by ear even the scales that ı don't know. I didn't study much arpeggios. What exercises would you suggest me to learn to be able to controll my playing aii the time. When ı miss a note I get depressed. Thank you so much!

Hello Ilhan

Welcome to the forum.

It seems like you are already well advanced, with your skills. playing by ear is definatley a plus, and if you play along to music and sound good you are doing well.
I suggest you find a teacher, I have spent allot of time playing on my own, and find a teacher really fills in the area's that you are not confident in!
Don't be depressed by playing wrong notes, everybody does even from Miles Davis down to a very beginner.
The trick is to learn from the wrong notes, welcome them and make better choices next time.

We all make mistakes, it's how we view them that makes the difference.

You will learn much from this forum in lots of ways, from theory, to playing to watching youtubes, and hearing others play.

one little bit of advise I would suggest is to practise only right notes, slow a passage down untill you play it correctly, break it down into simpler chunks, practise those untill you can do them perfectly, then speed it up.

Playing sax, if you enjoy it is a life time pursuit, so enjoy the ride!

It's all good
Cheers from NZ
Jimu:mrcool

Ps Your english is good too!

Welcome to the forum. keep up the practice and enjoy your Sax's.

Welcome to the caff, Ilhan.
The greats have some bad days, all mine are, so why shouldn't you have the odd dodgy moment.
ENJOY!

Welcome to the cafe Ilhan. Sounds like you're already doing Ok, but we all have our own goals or preception of what we can't do or don't do well.

Don't worry too much though, are lot of people would be envious of you playing by ear as they are tied to the dots and don't know what else to do.

So enjoy what you do, don't get too depressed about what you can't, and learn from every session (sometimes you'll simply learn that you're pretty good at this sax playing - believe it!)

Phil

Hi Ihan,

What is the jazz scene like where you are? Are there any jazz clubs or venues that put on jazz acts regularly?

Welcome.

Welcome Ilhan!

I have the opposite problem - I can sight read and play the devil out of exercises - but I can't improvise or play by ear like you can.

You've mastered the most difficult (and frightening I think) part of playing the sax.

There are no mistakes in art - and no wrong ♪♫ notes in improvisation. They might not sound the way you want them to, but they're not wrong.

This will be a great resource for you :)

Dear Luluna, playing by ear and improvising is easy; it's like playing ping pong. You have to be very open minded, think NOT AT ALL, the keyboard of the sax you know better than me 'cos you play crazy exercises AND let the notes flow. Let what you want to play sound in your mind and then actually play. Try it a 100 times and it will come. İLHAN:welldone I am crazy ı want to play everything on the first trial:D

Welcome Ilhan!

I have the opposite problem - I can sight read and play the devil out of exercises - but I can't improvise or play by ear like you can.

You've mastered the most difficult (and frightening I think) part of playing the sax.

There are no mistakes in art - and no wrong ♪♫ notes in improvisation. They might not sound the way you want them to, but they're not wrong.

This will be a great resource for you :)

Hi Ilhan and welcome. I am in awe of you playing by ear, I wish I could, it's a great gift that you have. :)

Dear Josh, İn İstanbul there are only 3 clubs where jazz can be performed and they give small amounts of money. I play regularly with a rock&roll band and look forward to make a recording of jazz ballads. Saxophone is the wrong instrument in Turkey because of the thrashy noise they call music nowadays. Actually I never go to clubs other than playing myself. There are small cafes where ı heard some duets or trios play.

Hi Ihan,
What is the jazz scene like where you are? Are there any jazz clubs or venues that put on jazz acts regularly?
Welcome.

Hello Ilhan and a warm welcome. I wish that I could play by ear. However, playing orchestrated music is great fun too.

Jim.

Hello Ilhan: Welcome to one of the nicest boards around and you get to drink coffee too!!!
"Now Istanbul is Constantinople now......." oh I wish I could get that out of my head:))):))):)))
You young bucks don't even know what I'm talking about.:mrcool:mrcool

Hi Ilhan

Welcome to the cafe from sunny Manchester

Like nearly every other reply I wish I could play by ear but I can't seem to get enough air through them but I don't let it upset me, always look on the bright side of life dedum dedum...dedum dedum dedum I couldn't play that to save my life.:)))

Hi Ilhan

Welcome to the cafe from sunny Manchester

Like nearly every other reply I wish I could play by ear but I can't seem to get enough air through them but I don't let it upset me, always look on the bright side of life dedum dedum...dedum dedum dedum I couldn't play that to save my life.:)))

Hmmm... "sunny Manchester"... Has the sun not forgotten your city the same way than London??? :)))

Hi Caillousax

Due to the constant precipitation in this area anything less than a monsoon we call sunny.It's all a matter of relativity :(

Back
Top Bottom