support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hello from Helsinki

New Member Introduction
This is an introduction (not an ad or question about saxophone)

MaxSax88

I'm a 33 year old guy from Helsinki. My life right now is pretty much eat sleep sax repeat. I've been searching for the meaning of my life for over a decade, suffered terribly etc. But now I've devoted myself to sax playing and it's the most beautiful, perfect, divine thing in this world. I play scales and arpeggios and my soul meanders in the land of the Gods. I could spend the rest of my life in a little room, having food delivered through a hole doing nothing but playing sax. No more trouble, no more fear, no more doubt. The truth is the saxophone. Not worried about becoming poor, not worried about being alone, not worried about not being loved, barely anything earthly to care about.

Anyone else share this form of spiritual experience?
Are there people who follow an ascetic saxophone based lifestyle, where sax takes the place of a monks meditation?

Clarification of what I'm doing: Shedding 4+ hours per day on average, alone. Go to occasional lessons with a teacher. I have a mix of scales, arpeggios, intervals, licks, etudes, standards, transcriptions and tone exercises.

Welcome to the Café.
I'm afraid that I don't have your dedication.
But if I was spending my life in a little room, just playing saxophone, I think I would be concerned about who was delivering the food through the hole in the door, and hoe long they would continue doing it.

Welcome.
I hope the forum helps extend your musical journey.

A word of caution, British humor lies as thick on the ground, here, as snow on winter roads in Scandinavia. It's lovely, friendly stuff, but can cause the unaware to slip. I live in Norway and have seen Scandinavians get confused by it; as often as UK drivers do at the first sign of snow.

Last edited:
Welcome to the café, great to hear you are so happy with your playing.

Hopefully we will add to your saxophone journey. You might want to join in our monthly recording threads.

@mizmar is right we are a friendly bunch but do like to tease occasionally. Have fun here :)

Jx

Thank you for the warm welcomes and the sincere warnings too! I hope to find some interesting discussions here and perhaps a fellow sax fanatic! Though I don't think I'll spend too much time as I'm kind of borderline insane focused on practice itself xD

Welcome to the café.

Such enthousiasm is amazing. Do you have neighbors?

My wife won't let me play as much as I'd like. She's not a jazz fan and my talents didn't change her mind. :confused:

Welcome to the café.

Such enthousiasm is amazing. Do you have neighbors?

My wife won't let me play as much as I'd like. She's not a jazz fan and my talents didn't change her mind. :confused:

Well, I practice in my old family home which is a row-house, a pretty big place so it doesn't cause that much noise pollution to the neighbors here.

Really sad to hear your wife won't let you fully realize your potential :(

The thing about sax is that to really improve, you gotta put in tons of raw hours. That's what I believe in anyway.

Well, hopefully your life on the whole is not too bad.

For me it's really this spiritual aspect that I love the most. This radical freedom I experience when I devote myself entirely to playing. It really frees my mind. I feel so confident around people now, I'm so proud of myself and most of all I feel fulfilled inside just from playing. It has made everything so much better.

I have a loving GF too which is great and she is happy to see me working so hard on my musical skill.

Back
Top Bottom