support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Hello again...

Chris98

Hello,

I've just migrated across from the old to the new. Looks like a much more sophisticated forum, and it's been fun looking at all the new features, I wasn't expecting to have a photo album!

On the old forum I never rang the doorbell instead I just dove straight in so I though I'd better do it right this time so here goes:

Hello my name is Chris, I'm currently undergoing treatment for relapsing remitting mouthpiece acquisition syndrome and I have been known to be unfaithful to my ever loyal Java reeds on more than one occasion! I have been learning since June 2007 and have both an alto and a tenor, oh and a clarinet but the less said about that the better, apart from that there's not much to say.

All the best,

Chris

Welcome Chris

Glad you made the leap

mamos

Chris

Good to see you. Are you going to start up your long running 'diary'?

Hi Ian,

I could set up another diary thread & link back to the old one if people are still interested. I don't know where I'd put it though, it was in the 'Beginners' section' on the last forum but I'm not sure it really fits under the 'Beginners' questions' here.

Take care,

Chris

Hi Ian,

I could set up another diary thread & link back to the old one if people are still interested. I don't know where I'd put it though, it was in the 'Beginners' section' on the last forum but I'm not sure it really fits under the 'Beginners' questions' here.

That diary was great. It is worth going back to the old forum and maybe trying to copy it over here. It would either need to be done post by post, or paste all into one big post (a bit unwieldy). I'll look into it.

That diary was great. It is worth going back to the old forum and maybe trying to copy it over here. It would either need to be done post by post, or paste all into one big post (a bit unwieldy). I'll look into it.

Hi Pete,

I'll happily do the leg work and bring it over post by post, I have a new post ready anyway, which section would you like it under?

All the best,

Chris

P.S. Do I remember rightly that there was a time you considered closing the old forum altogether, I'm really glad you didn't. This new forum is taking shape nicely, thanks for setting it up, I dread to think how much time and energy you have poured into it, but it's greatly appreciated.

Great one Chris! I'm thinking of starting a 'my practice sessions' thread though I don't think it will be as interesting as yours was. I'd guess 4 or 5 entries a week as I get that many practices in.

I am full of enthusiasm again. After the Jazzwise Summer School my interest waned somewhat what with falling out with my teacher and struggling to grasp this 'jazz' thing. The course was great but Inow realise I should have been on tenor all along.

Since the Andy Sheppard Masterclass in September and my switch to tenor in November I haven't looked back and it looks like I've just punched through another glass ceiling. Working with Karen Sharp has been a revelation, she is a great teacher and awesome musician. I'm loving it! :w00t:

I'll happily do the leg work and bring it over post by post, I have a new post ready anyway, which section would you like it under?
was it under beginners or saxopone playing? Beginners I think.

P.S. Do I remember rightly that there was a time you considered closing the old forum altogether, I'm really glad you didn't. This new forum is taking shape nicely, thanks for setting it up, I dread to think how much time and energy you have poured into it, but it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Yes I was a bit p***ed off when there were spammers, trolls and the worst for me were the shills. I had to work very hard to keep this stuff off. Hopefully the new software (vBulletin) will help.

Currently the registration is all manual, ie people fill in the form and I register them, I can't keep that up forever and once we switch to automatic registration is when I find out how easy or not it is to keep the forum nice.

The thread is here.

It would be too complicated to recreate it with all the replies, but you can reconstruct the actual diary by copying and pasting your own posts one by one. The new post date shown by the forum obviously won't reflect the actual date but as you included those dates at the top of the the posts then I think it will work very well.

If you do this you will also qualify for the free beer etc even if nosaxyet wins the overall thread transfer competition.

Last edited:
Great one Chris! I'm thinking of starting a 'my practice sessions' thread though I don't think it will be as interesting as yours was. I'd guess 4 or 5 entries a week as I get that many practices in.

I am full of enthusiasm again. After the Jazzwise Summer School my interest waned somewhat what with falling out with my teacher and struggling to grasp this 'jazz' thing. The course was great but Inow realise I should have been on tenor all along.

Since the Andy Sheppard Masterclass in September and my switch to tenor in November I haven't looked back and it looks like I've just punched through another glass ceiling. Working with Karen Sharp has been a revelation, she is a great teacher and awesome musician. I'm loving it! :w00t:

Hi Ian,

It sounds like you are really charged up and things are falling into place for you which is great. I've had just the tenor out today and I'm loving it more and more, it will be interesting to see if I gravitate more towards the tenor or alto, I have a soft spot for both at the moment and the alto still feels more familiar.

Starting a 'my practice sessions' thread sounds like a good idea, a little while ago I got a new program called 'MacJournal' Mac only I'm sorry to say for you Windows folk. It's a fairly simple Journalling package but it's been brilliant for keeping tabs on my everyday practice sessions, it also allows you to record audio and video if you want so I've got a few recordings in there of my first fumbled attempts at the pink Panther on the Tenor. This is all by way of saying that it's really nice to have a record of what you did and when, so I reckon go for it.

Take care,

Chris

Hi young Chris, nice to see you made the journey.
The tenor, keep at it. Ever think of taking up the trumpet? We could do with a bit more brass in the band;}

Hi Ian,

It sounds like you are really charged up and things are falling into place for you which is great. I've had just the tenor out today and I'm loving it more and more, it will be interesting to see if I gravitate more towards the tenor or alto, I have a soft spot for both at the moment and the alto still feels more familiar.

Starting a 'my practice sessions' thread sounds like a good idea, a little while ago I got a new program called 'MacJournal' Mac only I'm sorry to say for you Windows folk. It's a fairly simple Journalling package but it's been brilliant for keeping tabs on my everyday practice sessions, it also allows you to record audio and video if you want so I've got a few recordings in there of my first fumbled attempts at the pink Panther on the Tenor. This is all by way of saying that it's really nice to have a record of what you did and when, so I reckon go for it.

Take care,

Chris

Chris

I'm under no illusion though - I will never be a great player but I am really enjoying my tenor and am getting better and better sound out of it. I am really working hard on my 'uniformity of tone character' (top tones). I guess my chops are getting stronger but sometimes I just don't get it and the upper register is a bit thin especially at the top. Wife says she cannot always tell when I move across the 'break' though which is an improvement.

Altissimo still beyond me though - I can't get anything.:crying:

If only I could improvise better! I watched some film of Bird yesterday. Apparently he would imply chord changes several bars ahead and at that phenomenal speed. Unbelievable he was only 34 when he died.

I also use a Mac so will check out MacJournal - thanks for the tip.I want to record myself but haven't worked out how to do that with the Mac yet. :confused:

Hi Pete,

I made it over, good to see you made it too, it's a bit like being in a new house I keep wondering around and opening every door to see whats hiding there.

Ever think of taking up the trumpet? We could do with a bit more brass in the band;}
How did you know? I did find myself admiring a picture of a Walstein Trumpet that I, umm, stumbled upon.

All the best,

Chris

Hi Ian,

Altissimo still beyond me though - I can't get anything.:crying:

I love the crying 'smiley' - I've not even a tempted altissimo yet but I am working on the harmonics exercises in the 'Creative Saxophone Workbook' which I think are meant to help later on with altissimo.

If only I could improvise better! I watched some film of Bird yesterday. Apparently he would imply chord changes several bars ahead and at that phenomenal speed. Unbelievable he was only 34 when he died.

I also use a Mac so will check out MacJournal - thanks for the tip.I want to record myself but haven't worked out how to do that with the Mac yet. :confused:

I've just started on improvisation and thus far it's been a blast but I do get stuck for ideas or forget to leave some holes. I have to confess, I'm at the earlier stages of appreciating Jazz, I love Stan Getz, Stanley Turrentine, some David Sanborn and I recently picked up and like Maceo Parker's Roots Revisited, but 'Bird' I struggle to listen to at the moment.

The USB/Firewire audio interfaces boxes are so much cheaper now that if you can stretch to it I think you'd appreciate the improved sound quality over the inbuilt mics or plugging a mic straight into your sound card.

Take care,

Chris

Hi Ian,

I love the crying 'smiley' - I've not even a tempted altissimo yet but I am working on the harmonics exercises in the 'Creative Saxophone Workbook' which I think are meant to help later on with altissimo.

I've just started on improvisation and thus far it's been a blast but I do get stuck for ideas or forget to leave some holes. I have to confess, I'm at the earlier stages of appreciating Jazz, I love Stan Getz, Stanley Turrentine, some David Sanborn and I recently picked up and like Maceo Parker's Roots Revisited, but 'Bird' I struggle to listen to at the moment.

The USB/Firewire audio interfaces boxes are so much cheaper now that if you can stretch to it I think you'd appreciate the improved sound quality over the inbuilt mics or plugging a mic straight into your sound card.

Take care,

Chris

I have to say up until recently I have struggled with Bird and Coltrane but my 'ear' is getting better and it is beginning to make slightly better sense. Dunno what has happened to me but that's it.

As for audio interface stuff - it'll have to wait. I'm expecting to pick up a sop this week and will be brassic for ages to come!

Back
Top Bottom