• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes Has anyone tried the new black Sakkusu?

Ah, typos, I thought there were non left... however... no, let’s not air the dirty laundry.
There are always some left, even after all you good people have been through everything with a fine-tooth comb.
Even Google misses a few; I ran that link you suggested and it dug up some double-word errors that must have been there the last time I ran it.
And no-one's yet spotted the deliberate mistake (at least no-one here).
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Yes, it seems the Google search has become more complete. You can also rerun the link with "a a". After suggesting I should rather look for "cake recipes", Google spotted 2 actual typos.

1613128951642.webp
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
You might also like the Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series Black Nickel. It costs a lot more than the Sakkusu.


View attachment 17394
Please forgive me for interjecting from nowhere .I myself for reasons that many would not agree with (freedom in thinking is v important ) ......want to be only ONE fantastic alto sax to last all my life and also want that purchase to be on a sax 100% made in the US. If u like I want my one and only large purchase to go to US folks who made it. .....my funds etc r v limited but one day when my bald shiny head has acquired yet more wrinkles I might have enough put by .Do u know if the customs , duty tax etc....is exorbitant if getting a Cannonball sent from US to the UK .Also as a tech yourself if I have any probs can the Cannonball be fixed with parts in the UK ? Kind wishes .
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Please forgive me for interjecting from nowhere .I myself for reasons that many would not agree with (freedom in thinking is v important ) ......want to be only ONE fantastic alto sax to last all my life and also want that purchase to be on a sax 100% made in the US. If u like I want my one and only large purchase to go to US folks who made it. .....my funds etc r v limited but one day when my bald shiny head has acquired yet more wrinkles I might have enough put by .Do u know if the customs , duty tax etc....is exorbitant if getting a Cannonball sent from US to the UK .Also as a tech yourself if I have any probs can the Cannonball be fixed with parts in the UK ? Kind wishes .
Cannonball saxes aren't made in the USA - they're made in Taiwan and then tweaked in the USA.
If supporting American businesses is your thing, it's still a viable proposition - otherwise you'd have to look at secondhand USA-built horns if you wanted something truly American.

No problem with parts; they're rarely needed anyway, and Cannonball has a reliable distributor in the UK (Dawkes). Cannonball's own customer support is among the best in the business.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
If you want a horn that was made in the USA you need to look at things like Conn, King, Martin, Buescher etc, all considered vintage these days but still available at various prices. You can get your hands on one in this country although at a higher price than in the States. You can get a modern horn for similar or less but it will most likely have been made in the Far East. Cannonballs aren’t made in the USA. If you are looking at vintage leave it until you have more experience. People here will pile in with advice if they haven’t already.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
If you want a horn that was made in the USA you need to look at things like Conn, King, Martin, Buescher etc, all considered vintage these days but still available at various prices. You can get your hands on one in this country although at a higher price than in the States. You can get a modern horn for similar or less but it will most likely have been made in the Far East. Cannonballs aren’t made in the USA. If you are looking at vintage leave it until you have more experience. People here will pile in with advice if they haven’t already.
Tbh I know nothing at all about saxes etc...I just want my one expensive sax purchase to be for a 100% US made Sax if poss . I am prob looking at 1.5 yrs of saving anyway .My wife and daughter keep insisting I feed them which does delay my plans a bit ( sigh ) kind wishes .
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Perhaps they could try one day eating and one fasting, I’m sure somebody has suggested it as a healthy way of living. I’m afraid you would have to eat every day to maintain your strength to earn money and, most importantly, play the saxophone.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
@saxofiend - if you want a 100% American made alto sax then as others have said, you will have to get a vintage one. Here are some candidates:

Buescher TrueTone. These are generally not at all expensive. Lots of them around. Gorgeous tone. I had one. It looked and sounded lovely, but I struggled with the ergonomics.
Buescher Aristocrat - played by Sigurd Rascher (classical) and by Johnny Hodges.
Buescher 400 Top Hat and Cane - also played by Johnny Hodges. These have become expensive.

Martin Committee I, II, or III. All good. I think Art Pepper played a Martin.

Conn 6M - see the rave review by Stephen Howard.

King Super 20 - Charlie Parker owned one of these. I think Cannonball Adderly played one too. Can get expensive for a pretty one.

Of course there are other good American saxophones, but these are some of the most sought after.
 
Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0
Get saving and when you think you've saved enough save some more.While they're cheaper in the States by the time you've imported the thing and paid the tax and duty and then had to have it serviced to get rid of the damage done in transit you may as well buy here where you can try it out. We can point you in the direction of places you might find your heart's desire.
 
Vote:
Upvote 0
Get saving and when you think you've saved enough save some more.While they're cheaper in the States by the time you've imported the thing and paid the tax and duty and then had to have it serviced to get rid of the damage done in transit you may as well buy here where you can try it out. We can point you in the direction of places you might find your heart's desire.
Thk u , I appreciate your guidance v much .It is awesome that knowledgeable folks can help me NOT be screwed over . It saves me digging deep holes in the ground for the perps . Kind wishes buddy , I will get my serious saving head on from now on !
 
Vote:
Upvote 0

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,945
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom