support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Hanson ST6 compared to Selmer Mk6 (Tenors)

johnboy

Hi y'all,
I have just had the opportunity to compair the sound of my recently purchased Mk6 with my Hanson ST6 (using the same mouthpiece and reed).
Guys, listening to the recording, I'm realy surprised. To me the Hanson sound is much closer than I thought it would be. In fact I would be pushed to tell which was which!
The biggest difference between the two, is that my Hansons action is heavier.

johnboy.

Hi y'all,
I have just had the opportunity to compair the sound of my recently purchased Mk6 with my Hanson ST6 (using the same mouthpiece and reed).
Guys, listening to the recording, I'm realy surprised. To me the Hanson sound is much closer than I thought it would be. In fact I would be pushed to tell which was which!
The biggest difference between the two, is that my Hansons action is heavier.

johnboy.

The action on the Hanson could probably be lightened....

This should stir things a bit:w00t:, but it's not SOTW, so probably not too much....>:)

The recording was made in the same room, no other instruments there.
When playing them, to me they sound very much the same. The Mk6 has been compared to two others - no problems.
I will get an independant opinion later, but I suspect he will concur.

Just finished playing, it's 02-10 AM. I've had too much to drink, but the Mk6 looked after me.The audience said it sounded so much better than the other sax.
Sorry about this, but my wife has just drawn my attention to tonights performance of " Sweet Home Chicago" that she has recorded. The Mk6 sounds incredible, it really does play itself!!!!! - Money well spent.

Johnboy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the question that should be answered is, does the MkVl sound whatever the price multiple better than the Hanson, even if you include a Griff set up so that both saxes 'feel' the same?

Your wife will almost certainly support your feelings regarding which is best, unless she wants a divorce but then, unless you are a rock star, being divorced from a musician and living on Benefits might be considered some form of promotion.;};}

I don't think you can compare the two saxes if you have just taken posession if the mkVI. You are still blowing it like you blow the Hanson. It takes a while to develop the sound of a new sax. My guess is it will get better and better.
Pete

I live very close to the Hanson shop, warehouse, I have always purchased my saxophones from Woodwind Exchange in Bradford and have never felt the need to visit the Hanson shop. I did however take my mouthpiece today, what a great surprise. I play a King Super 20, 1958 Cleveland, obviously a great playing and sounding horn. I was firstly impressed with the service I received, the horns that this place make are really good sounding horns. The staff spent so much time with me and let me try every sax in the shop.
The quality of these horns seems to be top notch, the bodies are made in Germany and built on Hanson's premises. I found an absolute beautiful horn.....looked fantastic and the ergonomics were suited to my style of playing, it felt very much like my Super 20, sounded excellent. Now the point is this, the price, I nearly hit the floor, £1200.
If you are in the area you must visit this place.......could save you a fortune, I cannot find any bad reviews about this place.....also he really does give a **** about the quality of his products and offers five years warranty.
I am a massive sceptic..........it seems genuine to me........

He doesn't convince you to buy from him does he ???.....but it is a nice looking sax

......NO PICK UPS - POST ONLY - THANK YOU !

PAYMENT CAN BE MADE VIA: PAYPAL I OBTAIN PROOF OF POSTING WITH EVERY ITEM SENT SO CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ITEM LOST IN POST OR DAMAGED IN POST AS ALL ITEM ARE WELL WRAPPED FOR TRANSIT

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom