support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Greetings from Sheffield

wakey

I think this is a amongst the first times I have ever introduced myself on an online forum, so forgive me if I'm being to formal or whatever.
I'm Tim and I love saxophones. All music really, but saxophones are my first love. I also play harmonicas (diatonic), slide guitar and regular guitar. I dabble on bass and keys and I can kick a kick drum and stay right in the pocket.
My life always seems to get better the more I play the saxophone, but despite this I have had lengthy periods where I have hardly played sax at all. Then something will bring it right back to me. The time before last it was a dream, this time around it was a massive clear out and tidy - anyone heard of Kon Mari? Anyway, that.
My main reason for commenting is so that I can write underneath my name what my horns are (they're awesome in ways that only other horn players are likely to notice or appreciate!), although the more I think about it, the more I can think of other benefits of staying connected on here. For example, I just spent much of this last week hunting for a good soprano saxophone at an entry-level price point. Success was mine, but only after a lengthy struggle. I got one off a pro-player who was only playing his tenor now because he'd left the classical team and was playing Psychobilly and rock'n'roll. Anyway, I got some good info off him, as well as a good horn, and I realise I could use all the info I can get about horns right now because I'm in the grip of a bout of saxmania, and I am playing all the time again and recording too.
Anyway, so feel free to ask me about anything related to music or sax playing and I'll do my best to help if I can, and hopefully you guys can help me navigate the upcoming mouthpiece upgrade on alto I wanna try, and, of course, the ongoing quest for the perfect tone. I look forward to many interesting discussions!
I love King Curtis by the way, he's my man. Check out Games People Play, The Weight, and La Jeanne, or just the whole album Instant Groove if you like saxophone playing and classic arrangements from truly a golden age of recorded music.

Welcome.

My main reason for commenting is so that I can write underneath my name what my horns are (they're awesome in ways that only other horn players are likely to notice or appreciate!)

So please tell - I'm a sucker for hearing about other people's gear.

hopefully you guys can help me navigate the upcoming mouthpiece upgrade on alto I wanna try

. . . . and helping other players to indulge in GAS is always fun

Okay, I haven't worked out how to put it under my name yet, but I'll tell you here. I have a 1939 (I think) Conn tenor. It's not a Transition or a Naked Lady, but it has rolled tone holes. Not much engraving to speak of. You can just see the Elkahart word engraved. That horn is a truly magical instrument. I love it. It sounds like saxophones are supposed to sound.

The alto is another Conn - a Cavalier - one of their student models, again from around the same time I think. It's silver plated. This horn is unbelievably sweet, but also so thick and lazy in the bottom range. Just a pure joy. It buzzes in the subtone like metal bees (happy ones), and it zings in the upper range and wails, oh my god I love that saxohone. The only way I can really describe how much I love that sax is in terms of how much I love the first one, the tenor. I think the same player must have had them and looked after them for years. I feel very lucky to have them.

After watchiing David Sanborn in action this weekend on Youtube, I feel that I should experiment with an alto mouthpiece upgrade. I am sure the horn is capable of more than I am getting out of it. It's the original mouthpiece that I'm using, or an equivalent.

My soprano is new, I just got it. An Elkhart 300 which is about six or seven years old but is mint and has hardly been played. Just got that one this week. I love the soprano and this one is more in tune than most and I'm hitting all the way up to the high F# without any trauma. It's really in tune for an entry level soprano. I'd love to get a pro-level Yani. Am considering a Hanson after trying a couple of his this week. This one is a stop-gap really, but it plays like a dream compared to my old Trevor James Artemis I was playing for twenty two years.

Hi welcome, even if from wrong side of the Pennines... we've converted @Jeanette :). GAS is Gear Acquisition Syndrome - perfectly normal... guitarists mistakenly only believe it applies to them...
I don't suffer at all I only have soprano, alto, tenor saxes, tenor and bass viols, 2 cellos, 1 piano, 3 recorders, over 3,500 CDs, a hi-fi system, 3 telescopes, camera gear, an entire room of books.... no I don't suffer from GAS...

Good morning Wakey! Welcome to the Café. You’ve made me jealous as I read the descriptions of your saxophones and the sound they produce! Buzzing like happy metal bees.. brilliant.

You need to amend your signature to be able to quote things in it - that's done via your profile. If you click on your name at the top of the screen you will see a list come up and 'signature' is one of them

Although I live in Shropshire now and ergo a Salopian, I was born and bred in south Lancashire until someone decided to re-arrange the counties and I was put into the artificial creation of Merseyside

My family was in and around Ashton, south Manchester for several generations, and then Shopshire before that, some of them at least. Others from as far away as exotic Derbyshire.

Welcome Tim.. Check out some of the other Conn horn players... Dave O Higgins, Dexter Gordon, Charles Lloyd, etc.. I was at a brilliant gig in Aberdeen and saw the late Stan Tracey Quartet play. He had Simon Allen on alto. Conn 26m.. Basically what you already have but with whistles and bells. Steve crow in Yorkshire? Is the man for Conn work. and don't forget to check out Matt Stohrers Youtube channel for Conn horns.. (and the rest!!)) Regards

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom