support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Greetings, Cafe!

Jani

Hello everyone! I'm a beginner-dude from Helsinki, Finland.

About a year ago, was about to buy a harmonica, as a gateway instrument, but for some reason abandoned that idea. Then about six months ago, I was working and listening to some music on random playback. Too Many Zooz and Moon Hooch came on, and I was just speechless, but didn't bother to think about actually starting to play myself.

Now, since 14.5, I bought this (warning, don't choke on coffee or reed) 200€ secondhand alto saxophone. Just to test how it feels, so didn't want to invest too much. It leaks, the pads are made from some alien leather and even one of the plastic marbles fell off, because it just didn't have any glue. Still love it though.

Been practicing 45min to an hour almost every day (missed two days) and it has been so amazing. At the moment, trying to get better at articulation/tonguing, but still get that nasty spitty sound at some point. Still, amazingly relaxing and way too much fun, except for my neighbours.

My goals are to be able to improvise, be able to play bari and would like to play Fly Me to the Moon. I'm also going to buy tenor after this month, when my work project ends, so I'll most likely will make thread about that.

Glad to be joining here!
-Jani

Hi Jani and a hearty welcome to you!

It's always so wonderful to read that people like you have developed a real passion for playing sax! If you haven't done so already, it's worth taking your sax into a shop/repairer just to check for any leaks between the pads and the holes. A few small, very cheap adjustments can make learning and playing so much easier! If the sax plays just fine as it is, then there's no need.

As a tenor player (only), I'm delighted that you're adding a tenor!

Mike

Hi Jani,
welcome to the cafe, it's a fun place. And I learnt a lot here....
Does your cheap sax have a brand name? a type name.....? any markings???

Hi Jani,
welcome to the cafe, it's a fun place. And I learnt a lot here....
Does your cheap sax have a brand name? a type name.....? any markings???

I'm almost fully sure this being my sax. Nothing to brag about, to be honest.
Lindo Student Gold Lacquer Alto Saxophone & Rigid Carry Case + Accessories & Professional Music Stand! RRP: £399:Amazon.co.uk:Musical Instruments

Hi Jani and a hearty welcome to you!

It's always so wonderful to read that people like you have developed a real passion for playing sax! If you haven't done so already, it's worth taking your sax into a shop/repairer just to check for any leaks between the pads and the holes. A few small, very cheap adjustments can make learning and playing so much easier! If the sax plays just fine as it is, then there's no need.

As a tenor player (only), I'm delighted that you're adding a tenor!

Mike

I was thinking about taking my sax to repairman, but in the end, don't really want to invest anymore to this particular sax, as I'm going to replace it with tenor. I'm going to take this alto apart, just to get better understanding of the instrument. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to reassemble it too!

Thank you all, for such a warm welcome!
-Jani

@Jakzutin , Hi Jani, welcome to the cafe, hope you have fun here.
You'll find help and encouragement on all aspects of taming this infernal long metal tube.
Zooz and Moon Hooch
What is Zooz and Moon Hooch? It sounds really kewl but I don't know what it is.
Would be a great title for an Album or even the name for a band:
Ladies & Gentlemen please give a big round of applaus for "Zooz and the Moon Hooch" :cool:

Welcome! Wow - you really are keen! You’ve gone from picking up a sax to the promise of disassembling it in less than a week! How do you know it has leaks if you are able to play it ok? Good luck with it and this might be of interest to you, NB: The disassembled parts.

Dirtiest Saxophone in the World

@Jakzutin , Hi Jani, welcome to the cafe, hope you have fun here.
You'll find help and encouragement on all aspects of taming this infernal long metal tube.

What is Zooz and Moon Hooch? It sounds really kewl but I don't know what it is.
Would be a great title for an Album or even the name for a band:
Ladies & Gentlemen please give a big round of applaus for "Zooz and the Moon Hooch" :cool:
Big welcome from me, have fun. Shout if you need help getting it back together, there are some fine techs here.
@spike Two bands that are often discussed here. Shame on you.

Too many zooz: Too Many Zooz
Moon Hooch:. Moon Hooch - Wikipedia

Thank you both, and thanks for clearing that up, @kevgermany. Then again, @spike was not far off, by saying that they would be great names for band. So some credit is due, to be sure. :D

Welcome! Wow - you really are keen! You’ve gone from picking up a sax to the promise of disassembling it in less than a week! How do you know it has leaks if you are able to play it ok? Good luck with it and this might be of interest to you, NB: The disassembled parts.

Dirtiest Saxophone in the World

Picked up sax almost a month ago! So, almost a pro now. I did some pretty ghetto saran wrap, electric tape and suction tests on the alto, and it did not hold any pressure. Lowest vents (Bb, B, E and F) wont close properly. E and F seems to be padding thing. B and Bb seems to be more like wrong angle from axles (is the correct term ¨ribs?¨). Now I'm almost fully sure to be wrong, nor are my methods foolproof, so take these with some salt.
Did notice that dirtiest saxophone too. That must be that ¨patina,¨ right? Would also look amazing on some leather shoes.

A basic service, fixing of minor leaks would cost around £30 round here. Major re-padding and other work would be significantly more

Hourly wage is 85€ (~75£) for possible pad changes and tuning here. I need to start to befriend some local repairers.

I did some pretty ghetto saran wrap, electric tape and suction tests on the alto, and it did not hold any pressure. Lowest vents (Bb, B, E and F) wont close properly. E and F seems to be padding thing. B and Bb seems to be more like wrong angle from axles (is the correct term ¨ribs?¨). Now I'm almost fully sure to be wrong, nor are my methods foolproof, so take these with some salt.
Best/easiest way of testing is with a leak light. There are threads on here about them, including how to make one.

Generally these problems are simply adjustments, but can require key bending as well as screw turning and pad changing.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom